Teyla Turns Two

She’d only been awake for five minutes, but I could already see the wheels turning under that tangled mop.

I was waiting for the shower water to warm up this morning – hot showers are a must on Mondays – when Teyla pushed open the bathroom door. Her head was down and her eyes were closed against the onslaught of light. She was moving on instinct, not sight. She bumped into my legs and pushed her curls out of her face. Blinking, she immediately transitioned from sleeping baby to adventurous toddler and began rummaging through the bathroom drawers.

She was halfway through her exploration of the second drawer when she came across a sample-sized tube of lotion. That’s when I saw the wheels turning. She shot a glance at me, standing next to the shower curtain, and said, “Mommy! Go!”


Amused at my two-year-old tyrant, I said, “You want me to get in the shower?”

“Yesh,” she insisting, pointing at the steaming enclosure. “Go.”

I couldn’t imagine why she would want to get rid of me. (Yes, that’s sarcasm.)

I got into the shower but peeked out almost immediately. She was trying to get the tube open with her teeth. She jumped when she saw me looking. “Mommy! No! Go!”


She cracks me up. Even if what she’s doing is no good thing.

I wish I could say that was the first time she’s ordered me around in my own house. But if you’ve been around these parts for a while, you know it’s not. That's just Teyla in a nutshell.

Last week, I was cleaning up the lunch dishes when I saw her tucked into a corner of the couch, playing with her big brother’s new Leapster – a toy she knows she’s not supposed to touch.

“Teyla….” I started to warn. But I got no further, because she jumped, raised her palm to me and said, “Mommy! No! No touchy!”

No touchy?


Wow.


For the record, Teyla turned two on Saturday. It’s the reason I couldn’t attend Cupcake ’10, even though many of my favorite blogging friends were there and it was relatively close to home.

I just had a cupcake of my own to celebrate.













Happy birthday, Teyla. You make me laugh every day with your sweet, adventurous, warrior ways. I’m thrilled to be your Mommy. I pray God does amazing things with your huge heart, your strong spirit and your inquisitive soul.

And may you never lose the cheesy smile. Amen.

15 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Teyla! You are the cutest two year old girl that I have ever seen !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's so CUTE! I would never look at a sweet face like that and suspect she was a tyrant. But then I look at my own little toddler and think, YEP, those are the ones that get you! Happy Birthday Teyla!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is so stinking adorable. My 14-month-old definitely has that mischievous bug. She'll be joining the ranks with Teyla soon.

    And LOVE LOVE LOVE the Gymboree top. One I have been coveting. Wait, pretend I didn't say that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe she's already two! It seems like she should still be a newborn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, she is a perfect 2-year-old. She has the mischief, silly grin, and boundless energy mastered already. I love that age.

    Happy Birthday to Teyla!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's TWO?! Excuse me while I go get a tissue. . . She is such a doll. I adore that scrunched up face! And her antics.

    In a few months when you have a newborn to deal with, things will really start hopping! Eat your Wheaties!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, that wrinkled nose and enormous silly grin! I love two. The communication, the exploration, the changes every day ... it's a blast. Happy Birthday Teyla!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Teyla! You are cute as a button (but then again, you know that!) I love the scrunched up nose particularly.

    Tell your mom that if you start deciding that it's naptime on your own (for both of you) she should be careful not to fall asleep. That was my now-three-year-old niece Erika's favourite tactic. Order the adults to bed, let them fall asleep and then uninterrupted mayhem...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, precious girl! Happy birthday!!

    Seems like she was just BORN!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh look at that smile! She's just precious (albeit mischievous) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. happy birthday TEyla :) she looks gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. She is just so cute! I love the two year old attitude, they always seem to think they are so tough! lol

    Hope she had a wonderful birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday Teyla!

    I love that cheesy smile! Reminds me of my Eli.. he's mischevious but such a tender heart at the same time and has a grin just like that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday Miss T!
    I too hope you NEVER lose that grin!

    ReplyDelete
  15. She's adorable and I love her smiley face cupcakes! I just found your blog through Google Reader recommended blogs, so thought I'd stop by and say hi!

    ReplyDelete