18 Hours

Eighteen hours, and it was enough to fill my tank again. I feel refreshed.

Corey and I spent Saturday night away from home, away from the kiddos. We didn't go far and we didn't do anything splashy. We just needed each other.

This phase of our life is intense. Parenting young children is exhausting, as is building a company and a home. Everywhere we look, someone needs something from us. "I need, I need, I need...." The vampires suck us dry. By the time it's 9:00 and the screeching is silenced -- either by bedtime or the off button -- we are dry shells with nothing left to offer.

So this weekend, we snuck away for 18 hours. We didn't go on a cruise (Iike MckMama) or fly to Mexico (like JMom), but the chance to focus on just each other and nourish our marriage was restorative.

I've been listening Mark Driscoll's Song of Songs series lately. (I usually do this while folding laundry, because it keeps my mind occupied as well as my hands.) I've been convicted afresh that my marriage is the most important earthly relationship I have. Right now, our kids are the squeaky wheels. But I would be remiss if I forgot that my husband is the whole bicycle. Without him -- without us -- there is no ride at all.

Eighteen hours is all it took to remind me that this ride is the best. It goes up and it goes down. But every ounce of energy it requires is worth it.

14 comments:

  1. I love the analogy of the bicycle! You are so right and you wrote it so well! We haven't spent a night away in such a long time but we do try to spend nights out every so often and some of our most fun times are having date nights in after the kids go to bed on a Friday night. It's vital to our relationship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...my husband is the whole bicycle."

    I like this.

    I am so glad you were blessed with your getaway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun.

    Good thing you're already pregnant. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE listening to Mark Driscoll. My husband had me listen to the Song of Songs Series last month. I'm learning to put more focus and energy into the person God has chosen for me. Not an easy task, but SO worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm getting my husband a commentary on Song of Songs for Valentine's Day. Because that's our idea of something really romantic!

    I'm glad you had your time of refreshment. We're right in the throes of parenting young children, too, and I'm so looking forward to our getaway vacation planned for this fall. Just for a long weekend, but the thought of doing something that's just us ... well, that hasn't happened since the toddler was born.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! It's so good to hear things like this and about good, godly marriages!

    My husband and I just got married (and no kids just yet), so we're trying to learn to integrate these kinds of practices into our marriage regularly now. I can only imagine how much more powerful it is when you've got a full household like yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Investing in your marriage is the best gift you can give your kids; I remember being quite young and feeling then that my sense of happiness and well being and security was based entirely on if my parents were getting along or not. It's so easy to just get swept up in the daily stuff of life and forget to invest in the marriage! It's great that you got away! (And I can't help but laugh as the words of U2 come to mind, "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle." Ahahahhaaha!!!! Not true, mama of 4!!! You need that man! Amen!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know I concur wholeheartedly!! We are big fans of 23 hour getaways!! So glad your tanks were
    filled!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you were able to recharge and reconnect! The kids do take a lot, and sometimes it is hard to keep giving to our spouse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so right. My husband and I have been looking around at places to take a little get-away before the baby comes. And it's kind of funny you mentioned Mark Driscoll's Song of Songs series, because we have been listening to the same one. I love listening to it while I'm at the gym. I just started the last sermon this morning. It has been such a blessing to us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i agree with you and you are reminding me that we need to do a date night...

    ReplyDelete
  13. where can i get that series??!?! it sounds PERFECT!!

    glad you are refreshed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a fairly new reader of your blog, and I wanted to say how much I enjoyed this post. It's amazing how you don't have to go somewhere fabulous with your husband to feel rejuvinated and re-connected. Sometimes, just a little date night out for a few hours is all it takes. It's essential in any realtionship, although always harder to follow through with.

    ReplyDelete