The Rest of the Story

Last night, Corey was pulled into an emergency budget meeting (three words o' fun, right there) at 5:00. It was supposed to be done by 6:00.

He got home at 8:30. Just in time to kiss the kids as they climbed into bed.

I was so drained, I was almost crawling.

I fell into bed, knowing that I would need to write my 5 Minutes for Parenting post this morning. But I didn't really have much on the schedule for today. I figured it would be easy to drop Natalie at school, put on a video for Teyla and Connor and whip out a pithy piece on maternity clothes.

I figured it would be easy. Fatal last words.

Since the time I made that bad decision, the following has occurred.

1. Teyla woke up crying at midnight. I felt completely drugged, so I did what I know I shouldn't have done -- I picked her up and carried her right back to bed with me. We both fell soundly asleep.
2. I woke up at 3:30 to Teyla thrashing. She wasn't hurt or sick. She's just a baby who moves constantly in her sleep. I decided to move her back to her crib.
3. As soon as I set her down in her crib, she woke up again. And started crying. Meanwhile, Natalie woke up and headed toward the bathroom. Noises followed which shouldn't be described in public.
4. I finally got Teyla and Natalie settled in their beds. I went back to my bed. Five minutes later, Teyla was crying again.
5. The settle-sleep-cry routine went on for about an hour. Finally, Teyla just climbed out of her crib and came to get in bed with me. I didn't have the strength to fight it.
6. I let everyone sleep in this morning, since I wasn't sure what Natalie's status would be. She woke up and was horrified at the prospect of missing school. So we got ready and dropped her off.
7. I came home, made oatmeal for the younger kids and started to write my post.
8. One minute later, the phone rang. It was the school nurse, informing me Natalie was in her office with a tummy ache. Could I come and get her?

And on and on it went.

The bottom line (which Corey would be asking for, if he were standing here right now): I have a new post at 5 Minutes for Pregnancy today. It's all about maternity clothes, and while I really enjoyed writing it, I also pulled half my hair out while doing so.

Go leave a comment for me, OK?

Because on top of all that, it's my birthday. Pass the cupcakes, please.

20 comments:

  1. I would come over and bring Teyla over for a playday while you took a good long nap. Or, alternately, I'd bring over a huge bottle of Benadryl and dose her up to make sure you both get a good long nap.

    Did I just advocating drugging children?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!!!!!!!

    It can only get better, right...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless you! I can totally relate!! I have had two HORRID nights with my 16 month old. I posted about night one yesterday. Last night was even worse. And on top of our sleeping issues he started throwing up at 6am. He was napping but I just heard him. Time to go.. and hopefully his sheets are clean!

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday!!!

    I'm having a similar week, except multiply DH not getting home in time to see kids by....10 days? I can't remember how long it's been since DH has been working long hours. Hang in there! Sleep is for wussies :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, Happy Birthday, my friend! Hope Natalie doesn't turn it into a barfday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday! Sent your 5 min. post to a friend who had JUST hours before posted on Facebook something about how awful getting dressed at 7 months pregnant can be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! I hope you get more sleep tonight!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I remember those days...so tired you were nearly crawling. This birthday may not be one to remember, but there's always next year. Happy Birthday anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy, happy birthday!!!! Hope you are being well-celebrated!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! I don't comment often, but I love reading your blog. Hope some part of your day is terrific. If not, turn it into a birthday week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday, Kelly!! Hope it's a great day. I'm sure you look adorable in whatever maternity outfit you choose.

    Praying all in your family are well today...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday! And now I'm off to read your article...I'm betting it's amazing, just like you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday, Kelly! Mine is coming up on Saturday--I didn't realize we were so close. And now I have a baby that almost shares Teyla's, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh lady, HAPPY BIRTHDAY

    ?

    Happy?

    Birthday!

    Off to read your post...

    ReplyDelete
  15. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

    And yeah, that's why I dont' commit to anything. Even a book review. Can't promise nothin.

    ReplyDelete
  16. JOYFUL AND RESTFUL BIRTHDAY BLESSINGS! I don't know how you keep the household with 3 and another on the way. Apparently God has given you much grace, patience and strength. I have a 5yr old girl and a 16 mo old boy. We and hubby all have just gotten over the "family cold," except that I am still tired from my little guy waking up with that lingering congestion.

    BTW, I am new to your blog. If you manage to read and respond to my comment, let me just mention that we share California, faith, writing, thinking (or deep contemplation), serving God wholeheartedly, and mastitis (sol... scream out loud!)

    Have a wonderful day in the Lord... have a nap...Have a cupcake, and eat it too... 29 candles, right?

    Many blessings.
    new poster, Michele K

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ouch, ouch, ouch. Nights like that make me horrible to live with. I can't believe you managed to write two posts today. My Hero.

    Happy Birthday Kelly! You're one of my very favorite people in blogland...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Happy Birthday! I am sorry it was not a good day, there are those days it seems. They never end.

    Hope everyone got some sleep and is feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete