Errands

Today, I did the following:
  • Took three kids -- ages 8, 5 and 1 -- to Target
  • Took three kids -- ages 8, 5 and 1 -- to the grocery store
  • Took three kids -- ages 8, 5 and 1 -- to mail packages
  • Took three kids -- ages 8, 5 and 1 -- to get my car's oil changed
  • Took three kids -- ages 8, 5 and 1 -- to Michael's
  • Took three kids -- ages 8, 5 and 1 -- to Old Navy
And then I went home and had a very large martini.

Kidding about the martini. Unless sweet tea is somehow Southern for martini.

But if anyone deserved that drink, 'tis I.

Some of you might be thinking, "Why do you do this to yourself?" And the answer is, "Because I know no other way." They either accompany me on my errands or I tie them to the futon in the playroom or I pay a babysitter to watch them so I can return the light blue capris which I knew were a bad purchase the first time I walked out of Old Navy with them, but for whatever reason, I didn't turn around and repent of my error."

And I really don't want to pay a babysitter so I can return capris.

Today's productivity was made possible by Connor, who woke Teyla up from her nap when she'd been asleep approximately 3.25 minutes. Seems he was with Natalie, in their bedroom right next to the nursery, when Natalie had the nerve to finish putting on her socks before him and leave him in their bedroom all alone. The boy is almost 6, but he is terrified of being alone right now -- even in his own house, even surrounded by people, because if he can't see the people, something might happen -- so he let out a wail of Biblical proportions.

Which triggered a wail from the baby. Who was then magically convinced she had slept at least two hours and was refreshed and renewed.

So we ran errands. Seemed the best way to make lemonade out of the lemons I'd been handed.

It also didn't hurt that both Teyla and Connor took a nap in the car.

That's the real reasons I (sometimes) love running errands. Because when you have three kids -- ages 8, 5 and 1 -- 20 minutes of guaranteed peace and quiet is worth three hours of hassle.

14 comments:

  1. You are so brave Kelly! Better yet...EXPERIENCED!
    I love how you grab life by the horns - why should you pay a babysitter to do errands? Thats just silly.
    You get the MOM OF THE DAY Award in my book and Little Miss Teyla - some day you will understand how wonderful naps are!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand because I have an 8, 5 and 1 year old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh honey! I'm afraid I would have had the martini! There will be stars in your crown some day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

    I didn't realize people from Minnesota drank sweet tea. My stereotype is crushed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yup, yup.

    I have days when I WISH I had the extra cash to waste on a babysitter just so I can run errands. those days are few and far between now that mine are getting older, then again I've never taken them during a car oil change.

    drink some of that sweet tea for me

    monica

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is what I do too. Sometimes I have no idea where we're going. We just get in the car and turn on the music and then I try to think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I pine for the days of 20 min of nap in the car while "erranding". My 12, 11 & 8 are relegated to reading so Mom Can Think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is me, trying not to covet your parenting skill. My kid sleeps 20 out of 24 hours a day and I still failed an attempted Target trip.

    Well done lady!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also think running around is preferable to being home alone with my kids during the witching hour.

    And I think you should have had the martini.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! I love running errands. I've gotten to wear I grocery shop at night. Daddy puts them in bed while I leisurely stroll through the grocery store, peacefully taking items off the shelf and gently placing them in my basket. Sometimes, I even stop and get me something yummy at Starbucks to make it THAT much more enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kelly, I'm sending some coffee love your way! Send me your address!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Until I grew my own babysitters, I took everyone on errands. Sometimes it was smooth as glass and we got everything done with time and money to spare! Other times it was smooth as BROKEN glass, and, rather than spend a day frustrated and grouchy, I shelved the errands and went home to continue the training that would eventually allow us to sail through a day of errands.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. That's a LOT of errands. I don't think I could do that many ALL BY MYSELF.

    Supermom - you are. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. (HERE AFTER, MINDY WILL BE TYPED IN ALL CAPS. and carolyn will be in lowercase.)

    remember these emails from the 2 of us way back in our high school days?? well, we thought we'd take a stroll down memory lane since we're together here in howell...the melon capital of the world!!!!! ok...back to mindy.

    I BET YOU DIDN'T KNOW HOWELL WAS THE MELON CAPTIAL DID YOU? WE EVEN HAVE OUR OWN MELON CALLED: THE HOWELL MELON--CREATIVE ISN'T IT?

    sorry, this has nothing to do w/ your errands post (although we did smile knowingly at your quintessential Kelly-ness in this post)...anywho, we are just basically hijacking your blog (like Corey does at times) since Mindy couldn't track down your email address....since we miss you and wish that you could be here w/ us to experience the howell melons.

    OR REMEMBER THAT TIME IN SAN DIEGO WHEN WE STAYED UP REALLY LATE WATCHING OLD 'FRIENDS' RERUNS AND THEN PUT IN THE CAMP FOREST SPRINGS VIDEO WITH 'SHAE BALL' AND LAUGHED SO HARD COREY GOT MAD AT US FOR WAKING HIM.

    btw, we are not high (nor have we had any martinis like you did after your long day)...oh, and we'd really like to see that video again someday. :)

    so thanks for letting us be silly on your post....it makes us feel close to you...love you!!!!

    AND WE REALLY WISH YOU WERE HERE WITH US, OR WE WERE ALL AT THE CANTEEN AT CAMP FOREST SPRINGS PLAYING THE CUP GAME IN THE BOOTHS IN BACK. BUT EATING SOME HOWELL MELONS TOGETHER WOULDN'T BE BAD EITHER...

    wish you were here!!! :)

    XOXOXO
    MINDELLA & cahuilla

    PS We lOvE yOu, ToO, CoRey.

    ReplyDelete