Sundays

I walked into the sanctuary today, carrying my diaper bag-slash-purse and my tumbler, almost emptied of coffee. My cream-colored turtleneck sweater warded off the chill; I could see trees frosted with slushy snow out the windows.

I sat and listened to announcements. My mind wandered. I felt grimy, dusty. The film of the week lay caked on my soul.

Then the music started. Men and women wearing pastel colors took their places up front. Children, including my daughter, skipped down the center aisle, waving palm fronds enthusiastically.

Hosanna! Hosanna! Blessed is He who comes in the name of the LORD!

We sang.

Come thou font of every blessing, teach my heart to sing thy grace.
Streams of mercy, never ceasing, call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet, sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount I'm fixed upon it, mount of thy redeeming love.

The light of God's holiness pierced the crust around my heart. I could feel it cracking and slipping away. Tears seeped out of my eyes and run in tracks down my cheeks. I could feel ragged sobs shake in my chest.

Clean. Fresh. A new start.

That is why I love Sundays.

Oh to grace, how great a debtor daily I'm constrained to be
Let thy goodness, like a fetter, bind my wandering heart to thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it. Prone to leave the God I love.
Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it. Seal it for thy courts above.

13 comments:

  1. May His streams of mercy continue for you today--in these middle of the trenches days of parenting and weather that doesn't seem to acknowledge the turn for Spring. I pray you receive an extra measure of His grace today, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, wonderful post. I totally identify with walking in to church broken and walking out renewed.

    I love Palm Sunday. Seeing the little ones waving their palms sometimes a little too enthusiastically makes me teary-eyed.

    It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Love this hymn. Wish we sang it more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least your daughter's not old enough yet to be embarrassed when you cry at hymns! ;) (Why yes, mine is, and she is)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm ... I was in the nursery ... maybe I should have gone to the next service. I left church wanting a nap and a vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this hymn, too. It's such a beautiful offering.

    Sundays are my favorite day of the week...the chance to shake off the world and for a time, escape into His World. An opportunity to glimpse what life should be like.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! It's such a beautiful thing when He gives us a clean, fresh, new start. And to think He has an endless supply of those new beginnings, even for those of us "prone to wander".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exactly.

    p.s. what do i tell the kids when they see me crying in front of my keyboard?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully expressed. No wonder Hebrews tells us to not neglect to meet together but to encourage one another all the more...

    I echo Elle: may you know the "even more" of His grace today...

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful post. I understand the broken feeling. Also love the hymn.


    Hope you will stop by my blog .
    I am going to have a "card box" giveaway every month. With so many comments, I decided this must be a prize that bloggers wanted.
    This drawing will be the last day of April.
    Every comment you leave throughout the month will enter your name in the drawing.
    This NEW blogger was so touched by all the comments I got on the Blog Party, that I decided to make this a monthly GIFT...
    Also, if you mention my blog, telling about the monthly giveaway, you will have your name entered 10 extra times...How is that for an incentive?
    I was so blown away by all the responses that I wanted to email each person personally, but TIME... just has not permitted..but I did love reading all of them..I am continuing to introduce my family members and then there will be some fun blogs coming up from Disney World in May. I am so thankful for all my new friends.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know why, but Palm Sunday has always been one of my favorite Sundays. Maybe because it begins Passion Week, the Reason for which Christ came. As our pastor put it this week, Christmas was just the means to Easter.

    I, too, was broken and refreshed, my sins washed away by his blood and relief showing on my face in tears.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoo! I get chills just reading that song. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete