Forgetful

Spring is the strongest season, for it must break the stranglehold of winter.

How do you defeat death?

With new life.

Promises kept safe through the bitterness unfurl a banner.
Tender green shoots reclaim the earth.


Delicate buds extend the sun's reach.

Even tree bark shines a reflection of hope.

And so, He makes all things new.

Winter?


What is that?

I forget.

Written as a tribute to the breath-taking spring of 2010, which arrived gloriously early and is treating us to a unexpected helping of grace. Our last measurable snowfall was February 23 this year, the earliest end to the snowfall season ever recorded. We've been reveling in sunshine and temperatures 15-20 degrees above normal. The ice is out on all the lake, two to three weeks ahead of schedule. And last weekend, I put away the snow gear. The world around me is a picture of the truth that the hopelessness I felt yesterday is not the end. In God's reality, spring always wins.

11 comments:

  1. Oh, beautiful.
    We had another snowstorm last week and it covered up all of the tender young shoots - but they went ahead and kept growing, shoving their yellow and purple heads above the snow. JOY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Beautiful and amazing!!

    Here in CO spring is about 1-2 months late. Let me say that again: 2 MONTHS LATE. while in some regards it drives me crazy, I have to admit to feeling a little grateful that the winter stuck around long enough that I haven't felt frantic about my baby coming.

    Enjoy your spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures. I think we missed spring. It was 85 today. And the pollen, oh the pollen! I think we've been in the high pollen count every day for the past 10 days. Yes, I am counting. Wait, sorry, I shouldn't complain! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. See! He didn't make you WAIT on spring this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spring has become my favorite time of year. New life, beginnings and color are so wonderful to take part in each year!

    Yeah spring :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've had a similar "early" spring experience here too. Lowest snowfall on record for YEARS. I've forgotten about winter too. It's all about summer now! (In fact, Dani and I just went today on an LL Bean excursion where she tried on sandals & we picked up swims shorts for big brother!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those pictures are SO purty.
    Spring is COMING!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the poem and the beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete