Thanksgiving Leftovers

This is an ugly truth, but I’m going to say it anyway: Sometimes, my thankful heart disappears as quickly as the pumpkin pie.

Admittedly, it’s been a rough weekend. Corey left Saturday morning for a four-day trip to Haiti. He’s going with one of his clients (Food for the Poor) to see first-hand what they do in a country that is one of the most needy in the world. I’m thrilled he has this opportunity. He needs the tangible reminder that his work isn’t just pushing paperwork and filing reports; he’s helping nonprofits make a difference.

But his trip means I’m home alone with 3.5 kids, a dog and sinus congestion that has been around so long, I’m thinking of giving it a name. (“Hello Mr. Snuh-Fee. Which side of my head will you be clogging with cement today?”)

Thursday, I was awash in gratitude. I cooked a feast for my family to celebrate God's blessings. I was acutely aware of all I've been given, that life isn't always easy, but it is good, a gift beyond measure.

This weekend, gratitude has not been my top emotion.

Instead, I’ve been whiny. Pouty. Frustrated. Stretched. Impatient. Unimaginative.

On Saturday, I spent hours – literally, hours – in front of the computer, mindlessly surfing the Internet as the kids fought and complained around me. We were all prickles and thorns.

Yuck.

So today, I’m thankful for a new day. I’m thankful for the sun peeking out from behind the clouds. I’m thankful for a God who met me in church yesterday morning and gave me fresh perspective (and energy and patience) to face three more days of single-parenthood.

And I do believe I have two pieces of pumpkin pie left. How appropriate.

Maybe I can make those Thanksgiving leftovers last a little longer.

9 comments:

  1. Hey, i love your blog! I found you via Mylestones. So anyway, I think it's all about the post-Thanksgiving letdown...I had it this weekend, too! It's hard to go from cooking and entertaining up a storm, to 3 full days of restlessness (kids home from school, etc). To be honest, I'm kind of glad to be back to the routine this morning!

    P.S. I loved your saga about Sami, too. You are a great writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it makes you feel any better, you're so not alone! That mindless internet surfing? I did it, too! While ignoring the sibling rivalry going on in the next room. Sigh.
    I pray your next couple of days are much better. :)

    Heather T

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so true and so authentic. From manna to murmuring all in a moment.

    Hang in there, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I relate. Single parenting is tough (and must be doubly so with 3 and one on the way!) I often have to talk myself into truth and gratitude, just as you've done here.
    Hang in there, friend! And enjoy that leftover pumpkin pie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear ya.
    I spent way too much time grumping and surfing on Friday.
    Some days it is jsut a real chore to feel the gratitude. Hubs works 12 hour shifts 4 at at time, so we basically do not see him for his 4 plus one sleeping day. I am usually a grumpy little bear at the end of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl. When are you going to write a book?

    No, really. When?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Amy Beth. I SOOOO want an autographed copy of that book....and a book-signing in Asheville, NC. :) Love your honesty. Love your candor. Love your heart. Love you, my dear, dear forever friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A post I could've written down to the hours of mindless internet surfing amidst grouchy complaining children (not to mention their grouchy complaining mom). His mercies are new. Every. Single. Morning. What grace!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So true for so many of us. Hubby hasn't traveled for work in a few years, thank goodness, but I remember the stress of just two kids. You are a wonder my friend!

    ReplyDelete