In Which I Empty My Brain Onto the Screen

I'm hoping to do some "real writing" this weekend -- which is necessary to qualify with air quotes, since "real writing" at this stage means anything that isn't encased by bullet points -- but I have some nagging thoughts I need to clear out first.

The Pioneer Woman is in Minnesota today, signing her new book at the Mall of America. Allison (from O My Family!) and I talked about going together -- but approximately five seconds later, we realized we'd be standing in a line that could stretch from Macy's to Sears and would probably cover at least three of four levels. Translation: That's a LOT of time for an autograph, no matter how wonderful the autographee. So I stayed home this afternoon and took a two-hour nap (bliss!), and Twitter tells me that Allison is meeting Heather (of the Extraordinary Ordinary) to work on details for Cupcake '10.

I think we made the right decision.

That said, I would really like to get a copy of The Pioneer Woman Cooks, and it's on sale for $10.75 right now at Amazon. Is it wrong for me to buy my own copy and then let someone else (cough, Corey, cough) give it to me for Christmas? Because $10.75 is a steal.

I have a minor cold, which doesn't even come close to rivaling the H1N1-mutates-into-a-cold-virus that tried to kill me in October. That was sheer misery. My sinuses were so closed, I could even Neti pot them. (And yes, I tried for the first time ever because that's how desperate I was. Turns out, you can be too congested for the "nose irrigation" plan to work.) I was literally having to fight for each breath I took for about five days. So this cold? I laugh at this cold.

But still. My throat hurts.

It's a gorgeous, sunny, 50-degree day here, which is a tad odd for Minnesota on November 21. But it's been like this all month. I can't explain it, but I'm thankful, because October was cool and dank and horrible. I believe the esteemed James Lileks said, "It feels like someone shook up the weeks of autumn this year and let them fall where they may." Exactly.


One of my favorite bloggers, Michelle at Scribbit, is giving away a brand new computer this weekend. Technically, it's known as the HP Touchsmart 600, but I call it the most sleek, gorgeous non-Apple computer I've ever seen. You should go enter to win it. I mean, talk about a Christmas gift.


I am trying to finalize my Thanksgiving menu today. I'm trying to decide if I should move out the Green Beans, Watercress and Fried Shallots salad for the more traditional Green Bean Casserole. I'm also debating the wisdom of three pies for eight people, especially when three of those eight are under five feet tall. But how do I decide between pumpkin (my favorite), apple (traditional) and chocolate (for Corey, Natalie and my father-in-law)? I mean, really. That's like trying to solve for pi. (Snort! Sorry. I couldn't help myself.)


Also? Corey wants me to add roasted Brussels sprouts to the menu. But that would mean I'm making seven side dishes. And did I mention we'll only have eight people at the meal? Oy. The decisions.


Connor spent the last hour watching the Lego version of
Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Brick over and over and over again. And I'll admit -- it's pretty darn funny. If you are halfway familiar with the Indiana Jones trilogy and you have a passing acquaintance with Legos (or you have a six-year-old who's obsessed, like me), you should check it out. And watch for all the Star Wars references. Hysterical.

Happy Saturday!

13 comments:

  1. Thanksgiving is the day when you don't choose between pies. You have them all. If I had my druthers, I would make stuffing, mashed potatoes, and pie for dinner. Oh, and some gravy and cranberry sauce, of course...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should make a confession: I have nightmares about that green bean casserole. Leftover from childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You missed out. Meeting PW was FUN!! :-) But a nap vs. meeting her.... I think a nap would win out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope this means you'll be at Cupcake 10? And Beth makes those Pinoneer Woman cinnamon rolls and they are goooood.

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd give advice, but my thanksgiving menu involved ham and a hashbrown casserole.
    Foodies we are not.
    Naps are always better than standing in line!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had Ree's visit on my calendar for months, and today, a nap won out for me, too. And then some work. But I couldn't bear the thought of being on my feet, just standing in a line, for hours. I knew I could use the time (and my overloaded tootsies) more productively. But the cookbook itself is great! Hubby got it for me for an early Christmas gift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The title of this one is my favorite. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. go with the favorites--if you're only making something for tradition's sake, it can go. in my opinion. of course, if anyone really likes apple, then heck no, three pies isn't too many!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If it makes you feel any better, it looks like we'll be having 12 dishes for 6 people. And then an entirely different meal for 10 later on. What's the use in celebrating all we have to be thankful for in America if there isn't an embarrassing level of gluttony and overabundance?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the lego site. We loved the mini movie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. O My Heavens the title of this killed me. That's how blogging has felt to me lately, too. Only it's sometimes my super bummed out and exhausted brain that gets emptied onto the screen.

    Cupcake '10 will be awesome, I'm honored to be working with Heather. Hope you and your preggy self can come. Blessings on your Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. And where does one get the Lego's Indiana Jones? Boo's favorite DS game is the Lego Star Wars, she plays it ALL THE TIME and even had me hooked for a while.

    I hope you are feeling better, and that you figure out the Turkey Day food issue. I am making everyone bring stuff this year, don't have the time or energy to deal with the full menu. Plus, it saves me some $!

    ReplyDelete