7 Quick Takes Friday (Vol. 8)

My brain! It is stuffed as full as the Scarecrow's. And it needs to be unstuffed so I can enjoy the weekend. Ergo, I'm participating in Conversion Diary's 7 Quick Takes Friday, one of my favorite carnivals in the blogosphere.
------1------
I didn't find my muse at Target.

Nor did I find the two additional glue sticks that I need. The Elmer's brand has been sold out for the past month, which is both understandable -- at 22 cents for two, it's a hard price to beat -- and unfortunate -- since our school stipulates the glue sticks MUST be Elmer's and MUST NOT be the weird gel paste.


But I did find my muse last night at Cafe Latte.


Or wait. Maybe that was just great blogging friends.


Those lovely ladies would be Heidi of Minnesota Mom and Heather of The Extraordinary Ordinary. We met for dinner, conversation and lemon turd cart lemon curd tart (seriously, you try saying it the right way) and had ourselves a ball.

Can I even tell you how much I enjoy the blogging community?

No?


OK. But I do. And Heidi and Heather are at the top of my list.

------2------
Earlier this week, I realized I never finished the Connor's-getting-his-kindergarten-shots melodrama.

To sum up: I didn't tell him about the impending needle sticks until 2 minutes before they happened -- and that ended up being the perfect solution for my five-year-old boy. He wasn't terribly excited about the news, but he didn't throw a huge fit. I think the suddenness of the announcement didn't leave him time to work himself up.


The nurse was fast -- the whole thing was over in 20 seconds -- and while he cried for a while after the last shot, he was fine by the time we left the doctor's office and headed for Target to buy some new Legos. (Although he did limp a bit the next few days, and I believe he also said, "I'm never going to the doctor's again!")

------3------
I had new appreciation for Connor when I went to my annual OB check-up a couple of weeks ago, and she insisted I get a tetanus booster that includes the whooping cough vaccine. Seems whooping cough has been running quite wild the past few years through the schools, so the CDC is asking all adults who haven't had a tetanus booster within the last 24 months to get the new DTaP as soon as possible.

And dang -- that puppy hurt. The shot didn't hurt that badly, but my arm ached for days. Ow.

------4------

I'm not sure I've ever confessed this publicly, but hi, my name is Kelly, and I'm a children's book addict. The room Natalie and Connor share contains exactly two beds, one nightstand, one chair and one HUGE bookcase that houses hundreds upon hundreds of books.


So it wasn't a surprise, really, when Thomas Nelson sent me a copy "I Believe Bunny" to review. (The word about my addiction must be out on the streets. Maybe Corey is planning an intervention.)

Written by Tish Rabe, the "I Believe Bunny" is the first a new series of books designed to help young kids learn about believing, sharing and putting their faith into action. This particular books follows Bunny as he helps his friend Little Mouse who has fallen into a rain-swollen river. Bunny is overwhelmed with the problem and isn't sure what to do to mount a rescue. But he learns that prayer to a God who can overcome the impossible is always the place to start.


In all honesty, this book was a little too simplistic for Connor and Natalie (ages 5 and 8). But it will be perfect for Teyla as she gets a little older. The book is written in rhyming verse, which I love, and the illustrations are sumptuous. I would buy it for the pictures alone.
And of course, the message is Biblically strong and easy to understand, which makes it a win-win.

------5------
Speaking of books, the summer of Alexander Dumas continues. I just finished "The Three Musketeers," and I loved it. I rank it as my second favorite Dumas book, right under "The Count of Monte Cristo."

My husband, who is delighted that I'm following his recommended reading plan, says I should tackle Rafael Sabatini next, since his style and period are so similar to Dumas. I read Sabatini's "Scaramouche," a number of years ago when Corey said it was one of his all-time favorite books. But it was complicated, and I don't remember much, so I think I'm going to read it again.

------6------
Have I mentioned that I have a new niece?

Madison was born on July 23. She is the little sister of the star of
this video.

Isn't she too sweet for words? Lord, you do all things well.

------7------
My parents are halfway through their move to Colorado. They are currently residing in a furnished condo in Colorado Springs while they wait for their under-construction house to be finished.

And next week, we get to visit them. (And my sister and her family, since they are planning a visit to Colorado at the same time.) I'm beyond excited. I haven't seen my family since Christmas.


So to those of you who live in Colorado or those of you who have visited, what family-friendly tips do you have for the Springs area?

11 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhhhhh! Is it bad that I am jealous to nearly the point of tears that you got to meet Heather last night?! SO JEALOUS! And not in an all GODLY way either! (And I am sure Heidi is very nice as well. I just don't know her.)

    I'll work on forgiving you.

    I want to get my hands on a copy of the I Believe Bunny so badly. It looks great!

    I always love your Quick Takes. Hope your weekend is lovely and literate-licious.

    (I am quite positive that is a word.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel somewhat bereft that you met Heather and I did not. (And of course Holly as well, even though I don't know her. Not that I know Heather in real life. Heh.)

    What day doesn Connor start kindergarten? The Tongginator starts next Friday. I'm slightly weepy, then joyous, then weepy again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the Springs, go to Garden of the Gods - great photos ops, even if Teyla is too young for climbing. The other kids will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few things...
    1. Target could be out of glue sticks because people, such as myself, buy hundreds of glue sticks for Sunday School. I bought enough to last us the year! But, our Target still has some, and I am happy to get you some and bring them to Colorado. We don't leave for CO until Monday- so I will probably go to Target at least 2 more times before we leave... :)
    2. I'm jealous about Cafe Latte. I am really missing MN. Mom mentioned to me today that they may go to MN this fall... Oh how I want to come too!!!
    3. Can you bring that new book to CO? I would love to check it out... We are always looking to add to our book collection.
    Can't wait to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sooooooo should have posted the other picture... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your niece is ADORABLE!!

    And wow...glue sticks that cheap? Here we pay about $3 for one, they disappear just as quickly, they are just as required, but they are not as good quality.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun to see my favorite MN bloggers together!

    Fun things to do in the Springs area:

    Garden of the Gods

    Tour the Air Force Academy

    Cave of the Winds

    Cheyenne Mountain Zoo

    Santa's Workshop

    Go tour the Broadmoor

    Just up I-25 north is The Wildlife Experience, in Parker. Lots of fun.

    Remember, you are only going to be about an hour or so from Denver, so you can make a day of it here. Zoo, museums, amusement parks, restaurants like Casa Bonita or White Fence Farm, the aquarium, lots of trails to walk, Red Rocks, Dinosaur Ridge, great restaurants, funky little neighborhoods with cute shops, LoDo, Rockies games, etc...........

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was really nice to read. Your niece is so cute. And have fun in Colorado. I didn't quite understand whether you are visiting your parents in their new house of in their condo, though.

    Best regards, Elli

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see Heidi's joke up there. Uh huh, I do. Sure. Fine. Post the picture of me cleaning my teeth with my tongue. I can take it!!!

    It was so good to see you. :)

    Oh, and you'll be happy to know that I'm working on a children's book post filled with all the recommendations from recent comments. Gold.Mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's this girl who lives not too far from the Springs that you should definitely see. In fact, I'm willing to bet that she'd drive down there for a quick hello. She knows you're going to be busy with family, so she might even be happy if you just part the curtains and wave as she drives by. (Actually, it's too far of a drive for that and nice as she is, she'd be a bit put out if it all came down to a wave.)

    I wanted all summer to head down there to go to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. I've heard it's awesome and bet your kids would love it. I'm not as familiar with the Springs, but I know there's tons to do. Denver has tons to do, and I could point you to a few places. But Erie... ERIE! Now THERE'S where it's at!!!!! (Okay... that's faaaar from the truth... but...)

    ReplyDelete