Irresistable -- and Possibly Unsheddable

You know that classic scene from “Friends” where Rachel plants a huge kiss on Ross after seeing the (equally classic) prom video?

(I know you remember. Don’t try to play cool with me. But because it’s that good, here’s the clip on You Tube.)

(And while this has no real connection with the point of my post, I feel compelled to add that Chandler’s line – “How many cameras are on you?” – is one of the best sitcom quips ever penned.)



It’s a timeless story, really. Girl (or boy) has a close but ordinary friend who is as exciting as a comfy pair of bedroom slippers. Then, without warning – blamo! What was previously common suddenly becomes irresistible.

That’s pretty much me and Christmas cookies this year.

I love to cook, and baking Christmas cookies and breads might be my favorite holiday tradition. It’s not unusual for me to make eight or ten or fifteen different varieties so I’ll have a good assortment to give away to friends, teachers, co-workers, grocery baggers, strangers, anyone who stands still long enough for me to shove a plate of cookies at them, etc.

Normally, it’s not a problem for me to have hundreds of cookies in my kitchen, because normally, cookies just don’t do it for me. They aren’t my thing. I can eat a couple. But then -- I'm done. In fact, since my husband doesn’t eat sweets (a post for another time, to be sure), I usually end up throwing away most of the leftover cookies in January simply because I’m tired of looking at them.

But this year? The cookies! OH MY WORD! They are enticing me in ways I never thought possible. I can’t stop eating them. They are buttery little tidbits of heaven, designed explicitly to dance upon my taste buds. I had two Peanut Butter Blossoms before 10:00 AM today – eaten quickly and secretly, I might add, lest my four-year-old son catch me in the act.

My sister, who was pregnant over the holiday season last year, said it was common for her to eat a dozen cookies at a sitting last December. So clearly, it’s the baby.

But baby? It's mama that's going to have to shed these pounds in a few weeks. Please develop a craving for fresh spinach and whole grains. And today, if you don't mind.

Because while the Peanut Butter Blossoms and Frosted Sugar Cookies are done, I'm still working on the Brownie Toffee Biscotti, the Lemon Glazed Spritz, the Mint Chocolate Brownies, the Peppermint Cookies and the (new-this-year) Rugelach.

Oy.

Anyone want some cookies? I hear they ship well.

OH! I almost forgot. Our local Christian radio station threw out an innocent-enough question last week: How do you prefer your Peanut Butter Blossoms -- topped with Hershey's Kisses (as God intended) or with Brach's Chocolate Stars (which are waxy and lifeless)? The resulting brouhaha almost crashed their phone lines. Turns out, people are pretty opinionated about their Peanut Butter Blossoms. So I thought I'd set up a poll here. Which do you prefer? And if you'd like, leave me a comment about your favorite Christmas cookie. Because the sugar -- it's working for me today.




12 comments:

  1. Haystacks all the way! They are my all time favorite! But the peanut butter cookies are a close second, topped with Hershey Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you see my Martian cookies - also known as thumbprints?

    They are totally my favorite no matter how ugly I make them. :)

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should be expecting my batch to arrive soon, right? hee hee

    Kailani
    An Island Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I come over to your blog I think to myself, "She is a GREAT writer!" I think sugar cookies are on the menu for me tomorrow. At least you have an excuse for weight gain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandma used to make a cookie called toffee squares, they were delicious! I wish i could duplicate the recipe, but I just can't get it right.

    I have no idea how you tied Ross and cookies together, but it's working for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fact that you compared a timeless love story to a Christmas cookie cracks me up.

    Yeah, I just called Ross and Rachel a timeless love story. What of it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so funny, Kelly. And I'm totally with you. For years, Christmas cookies held no appeal to me. I baked them, packaged them, and gave them away. Dave only ate a few (he must be like your husband). But this year? Different story. I'm fighting with myself right now NOT to go downstairs and start a batch of Butter Fingers (a sugar cookie recipe a friend was thoughtless enough to give me :)

    Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog yesterday, Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok- I'm going to blame you when I'm craving cookies for the rest of the day!L:)

    Wanted to let you know I created a new post to give more sepcifics for the 12 DAys of Christmas tradition. Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh to be able to blame the cookie craving on a pregnancy...

    I am now heading straight to the store to buy the Hershey Kisses to make the pb cookies. It's been awhile since I've enjoyed them.

    Your blog is so much fun to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never even heard of making them with anything other than Hershey's kisses! What is that?!

    I'm sure your love of cookies is all about the baby... and you can continue blaming the baby for the next 18 years. My policy is that I birth them, I can also blame them for any unfortunate bad habits that develop while they are a tenant!

    Thanks for stopping by and enjoying (like me!) my pouting dog in our Christmas card.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had the blossoms today that a coworker had put peanut butter cups in! I KNOW! Completely against the norm, but the same cookies, I'm sure! It, I mean- they, were great! Can you add another option on your poll?

    :)

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love friends! And cookies! We must be long lost sisters!

    I love peanut butter cookies in particular. And Hershey Kisses are definitely the way to go!

    ReplyDelete