Hoarfrost

One of my favorite winter weather phenomenon is hoarfrost. Technically, it’s defined as “white, interlocking ice crystals, deposited on the ground or exposed objects, that form when the air is moist, the wind is weak or absent, and surfaces are cold.”

Non-technically, it’s breath-taking.

Hoarfrost creates a magical fairy land out of the ordinary world. Each tree branch, each blade of grass, each berry, each weed is covered with a thick blanket of glittery ice crystals. And when the sun comes out, nature is encased in diamonds.

A week ago Wednesday, it looked like this.
















And this.
















And this.





















At our old house, it would often look like this.
















Or like this.
















Or like this.





















You can see why it’s a favorite. Even my husband, who harbors no love for winter, says hoarfrost is “the beautiful side of evil." It’s simply stunning.

Plus, it takes the ordinary and outlines it with brilliance. It magnifies what’s already there, forces us to see the oft-unacknowledged.

In a small way, it reminds me of the Christmas season. (Wait! Where are you going? Just go with me here for a minute. And to my husband? Quit rolling your eyes.)

Just as hoarfrost makes us aware of all sorts of details we normally overlook, so the holiday season highlights what’s really in our hearts.

If we are in a season of celebration, Christmas amplifies the joy. If we are in a season of grief, Christmas almost cruelly emphasizes our loss. If we are empty, Christmas’ festivities echo in the barrenness. If we are questioning, Christmas forces us to face our doubt.

I, for one, am thankful that my God is the God of Christmas – the true Christmas, not the holiday as the Western world imagines it.

Because He is the giver of all good gifts, we rejoice. Because He is the One who comforts, we mourn with hope. Because only He ultimately satisfies, we bring our hunger before Him. Because He is The Truth, we can ask without fear.

Wherever you find yourself this December, no matter what the hoarfrost of Christmas brings to light in your heart, I pray you will know the God of Christmas.

Because without Him, it’s all just snow that will melt in a morning.

10 comments:

  1. How beautiful! I've never really been in snow before but it sure seems amazing!

    Kailani
    An Island Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could almost love winter if I had that to look forward to...I said almost. I think I'm with your hubby on the cold = evil thing. :)

    beautiful pics and application...did anyone ever tell you that you would have been a great tv producer. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do so love that stuff? Hoarfrost? I've never heard that term before. I noticed it on my morning drives to work the last week or so. A-maaaz-ing! Thanks for the new title for it!

    A

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post...

    Because He is the giver of all good gifts, we rejoice. Because He is the One who comforts, we mourn with hope. Because only He ultimately satisfies, we bring our hunger before Him. Because He is The Truth, we can ask without fear.

    Yes and amen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful this is! Thank you for a beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. how lovely! i never thought about snow and ice that way. love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How is it I have never heard of this term and I hail from the hoarfrost capital of the world: Canada?

    I LOVE this weather we're having, particularly the sunny days with crystalline snow. You captured it beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah-I am not the only one who finds the technical name for this phenomenon fascinating!!!! Thank you for pointing this out-I did not know it had a name!Now I can add this to my collection of really smart words so I sound cooler then I am!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is 70 degrees here in North Carolina today and I'm not complaining. But wow! Your hoarfrost pictures are beautiful. I wonder if I run the sprinkler the next time it dips below freezing here if I can create some home made hoarfrost???
    Sweet Blessings,
    Lysa TerKeurst
    Proverbs 31 Ministries

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those pictures are gorgeous. I really loved your application as well.

    ReplyDelete