Answers

I've felt guilty for more than week now over the fact that many of y'all have asked questions in my comment section that I've neglected to answer. I'm not trying to ignore you. It's just -- I wasn't sure how to get in touch with everyone!

Then Military Mommy posted this wonderfully sweet reminder about how to get more replies to your comments. I left her a hearty "Amen!" in her comment section. And she gently e-mailed me back to let me know even my e-mail wasn't enabled the right way for her to respond directly to my comments. (Confused yet?)

Both shocked and horrified, I did some research – because I know I had enabled this setting in the past. Lo and behold, it seems a few bloggers had this particular option toggle off when they made the switch from old Blogger to new Blogger. So let me add to Michelle's plea: Go to your profile and check your settings. (Click "Edit Profile" and make sure the "Show My E-mail" option is checked.) Then we can communicate face-to-face in the future.

OK. Guilt absolved. Now, to answer your questions:

1. I was nominated for an Emmy when I was producing the 5:00 PM news broadcast for NBC in San Diego. It happened to be the year El Nino came in and decimated the Southern California area. (Read: It knocked over our patio furniture.)

No. Seriously. The rain was bad. The day of my Emmy-nominated newscast, a huge sinkhole opened up on a nearby freeway. Homes on the beach were being pounded into smithereens by large waves and high tides. Highway 1 was closed in Encinitas -- again -- because rocks had covered the road. It was crazy.

And the Emmy Committee likes crazy. Hence, I was nominated the first year I was producing.

Like I said, I didn't win. But I do have a big certificate with gold lettering and a picture of an Emmy statue that's pretty cool.

And like they say: It's an honor just to be nominated.

2. Several of you asked for the recipe for the Cajun turkey burgers pictured in this post. I'm happy to oblige. They've become sort of a signature dish for my husband and me. Try them with pepper jack cheese and guacamole. And prepare to fly right to heaven on the sweet wings of yumminess. They are that good.

CAJUN TURKEY BURGERS
1 beaten egg
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp ground red pepper
1/2 cup seasoned fine dry bread crumbs
1 lb ground turkey

In a large bowl, combine egg, Worcestershire sauce, salt, garlic powder, onion powder and red pepper. Add bread crumbs and ground turkey. Mix well. Shape into six 3/4-inch-thick patties. Grill or broil.

(Oh, and if you make his often enough, you can make a "Cajun turkey burgers spice mix" by mixing equal portions of salt, garlic powder, onion powder and red pepper to have on hand for your next cooking adventure.)

3. And yes, the photo on my header was taken by me in my backyard. Stay tuned for the next few months, and I'm sure you'll see quite a few more to rival that one. Summer is glorious here.

2 comments:

  1. Oi, sou do Brasil e estou disposto a fazer noas amizades. Visite meu blog.
    Abraços

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! A visitor of another language. I now crown you the coolest blogger ever, Kelly. Very cool indeed! :)

    Thanks for posting the recipe. I can't wait to try it.

    And for the other answers. Very interesting. ;) I didn't know you were a celebrity!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete