Here, Taste This : Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower

For most of my life, my relationship with vegetables was very comme ci, comme ca. They were a bland bump on the road to healthy living. I didn't eat them willingly. I ate them grudgingly, with resentment. "Fifty grown-up points to me," I would mutter, and then slice myself a large piece of chocolate cake as a reward.

And then, a few years ago, I discovered roasted vegetables. I'm not exaggerating when I say something changed in me that day.

"This? This crispy, salty, creamy thing is a vegetable?!? This is AMAZING. This is luscious. This is something I would crave."

Ever since, I've been a roasting mad-woman, willing to throw almost any vegetable in a rip-roaring oven to see what delightful thing might come out.

I hesitate to call this is a recipe; it's more a technique that can be applied to just about any vegetable you have in the crisper. The basic concept is high heat + oiled veggies = caramelized sugars, browned proteins, crispy exteriors, creamy interiors. But today we'll use it on broccoli, cauliflower, because roasting transforms these scorned veggies into Most Popular in Class. Once you master this recipe, feel free to go crazy. I've roasted sweet potatoes, red potatoes, carrots, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, peppers, mushrooms, onions, butternut squash and zucchini with great success.

And now, when I need a reward, I roast some veggies and eat the whole pan.

And then I have a slice of chocolate cake too. Because why limit a good thing?



Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower

1 head broccoli
1 head cauliflower
3-5 garlic gloves, unpeeled

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Cut broccoli and cauliflower into bite-sized florets, about 1" to 1-1/2" each.
3. In a big bowl, toss broccoli, cauliflower and garlic cloves with enough extra virgin olive oil to coat. Sprinkle generously with Kosher salt.
4. Spread veggies out in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
5. Bake in the 425 oven for 25-30 minutes, tossing once halfway through if desired, until crisp and golden

Tips:
1. The two most important things to remember when roasting vegetables: The more uniform the size of the cut-up veggies, the more evenly they will cook. And give them space on the baking sheet. Crowded veggies means they won't get the golden color or crunch. Use a second baking sheet if the veggies are starting to look like they're riding a crowded New York City subway.
2. If you want to save a bowl, feel free to go rogue and coat the veggies with oil right on the baking sheet. That's what I usually do. Just drizzle the oil right on top of the veggies and then use your hands to make sure each piece sports a sheen. I sprinkle with salt right on the baking sheet too.
3. Check the veggies after about 15-20 minutes. If they look like they need to be turned, go ahead. But you have permission to skip that step. Just know the veggies will be slightly darker and more caramelized on the bottom.

8 comments:

  1. I had an ephiany about a year ago. I dislike raw veggies. (except carrots.) the rest, well, they are not my favorite. But roasted? I have eaten a head of cauliflower by myself. In one sitting.
    So now I make TONS of roasted veggies. And my 7yo loves them just as much as I do.
    If I say we are having asparagus he will ask, roasted? With olive oil and sea salt? He says this longingly and then steals them off my plate.
    So proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY! Roasting makes your kids request veggies. 'Nuff said.

      Delete
  2. I started roasting frozen broccoli this week. My veggie hating kids loved them. I did too. It is a huge hit. Love, love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! Did they turn out crispy? Most articles I've read say you should NOT try roasting frozen veggies, because their cells are going to be too compromised by the freezing process to really get that crispy exterior and creamy interior. Maybe try it with fresh broccoli too, and let me know the difference? I'd love to hear.

      Delete
  3. We also love roasted vegetables. We do not love the smell of roasting broccoli and cauliflower, but we suffer the smell for the great taste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm one of the weirdos that's always liked broccoli and cauliflower. I'd never even heard of roasting either vegetable before this year but I am a huge fan of roasting other veggies. I can't wait for my CSA to start back up so I can give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm... I love roasted veggies! My husband and I were just having a conversation about why our parents always boiled veggies - they were terrible! No wonder we hated green beans and broccoli and anything healthy - they taste like cardboard when they are boiled! Anyway, we roast veggies now with a little olive oil and salt and bam: delicious!

    ReplyDelete