A Sanguine Hangover

Do you ever have one of those days when you talk too much?

When you are heartsick over the flood of words coming from your own mouth? When you talk over others in a rush to continue your own thoughts? When you dishonor those close to you by over-sharing? When you sell the story of loved ones for the laugh of a crowd?

Do you ever have one of those days when you wonder if you could give up talking for Lent? If you could button your own lip for 40 day and only unbutton for eating and speaking words that encourage, nourish and are wise?

Do you ever wish God had given you a temperament of restraint instead of one that rushes in? Do you ever ask forgiveness – again – for words too quick, laughter too loud, self too big? Do you ever wonder why you crave the spotlight? Why you have to share just one more story, get one last laugh?

This is what I call a sanguine hangover.

And just like a real hangover, I can testify – the morning after is never worth the fun of the night before.

The more talk, the less truth;
the wise measure their words.
- Proverbs 10:19

7 comments:

  1. yes. honesty appreciated. and, let me just say... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talking hangover, no, days of regret, oh YES.
    I'm only extroverted online, but that does not mean I don't have a hangover from other things over and over.
    Good thing His mercies are new every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mouth runneth over on a regular basis. So much so that I have perfected the art of the morning after apology e-mail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid I know the sanguine hangover (and subsequent shame) that comes with it a little too well. Thanks for "naming" this for me. Such an apt description.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Yes. And even though I coach myself "I'm not gonna do xyz this time..." more often than not I totally lose control in the moment. I just did today, in fact. Don't forget the old "wake-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night-and-worry-because-why-did-I-say-THAT?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, yes, and yes.

    Sanguine hangover, such a fitting description for what I have felt too many times.

    ReplyDelete