Us

Seventeen years ago today, I got up early - really early for a Saturday.

I had to, you see, because a trio of young men came and took away my bed.

For the first time ever, my bed was leaving my childhood bedroom, the one with the blue walls that you could barely see behind all the posters, post cards, pictures and comics.

Because I was getting married that day. My bed and I were leaving the comforts of home and charting a new course with a new man. A new adventure.

It hit me today that Corey and I are at the tipping point. We have one more year of marriage before our years of Married with Kids equals (and then surpasses) our years of Married without Kids. The last eight years have been so full of life, it's hard to remember a time when it wasn't Us + The Crowd.

It was just Us.





The beautiful thing is, I appreciate Us more now, in the midst of the The Crowd.

I fall more in love with Us every passing day.

Seventeen years. Ups and downs, joys and agonies. Redemption. God's handiwork.

Us. Because of Him.

14 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. Congratulations so much.
    I remember the feeling of waking up in my childhood room for the last time the morning of my wedding, knowing that it was the last time I'd sleep there as my parents' daughter and not my husband's wife. Of course, I'll always be their daughter, but in a different way than I was then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I married so young I don't think I even had a chance to *reflect*...or maybe the SENSE to reflect. But looking back NOW, I see God;s hand all over my life and my marriage. 35 years this year! Congrats to you. Isn't it wonderful to have a life long partner?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, this is so sweet. Although I must admit that when I saw the title I thought it was going to talk about the "new Us" with the baby!

    Happy, Happy Anniversary.

    (And sometimes, "celebrating" will get labor going!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You two are a beautiful couple. Congrats on our anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to you both!

    I love the Us in The Crowd too.
    You're inspiring, lady. Don't forget that.

    Having a baby yet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! It was a blessing to spend a few of those years in your crowd.....before kids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary! I can't quite imagine seventeen years ... we're going on six, and it feels like a lifetime. (A very happy lifetime, let me hasten to add) Congratulations to You AND the Crowd!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary, friend! I love that "Us" and the "Us-plus". :)

    PS) That last picture I had framed for a long time and in my room until I "grew up" and got married and had to have "grown-up decorations".

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! Wishing you many, many more years of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the picture of the two of you on the boat, honeymoon I'm assuming. You look like a couple of really happy kids!

    I'm trying to imagine going directly from your childhood bedroom straight into marriage. Now that is some culture shock I bet. I like how you describe it. Going from posters, postcards and photos covering the walls - leaving that behind forever and immediately becoming an adult. I bet that could be a post in itself (or is there already one on that?)

    Happy Anniversary !!!!!!! Have a fun day !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats!!

    "Us. Because of Him."

    Got this song in my head now!
    http://popup.lala.com/popup/576742236129121853

    ReplyDelete