It's a...

It's a BOY!

More importantly, he's TOTALLY HEALTHY, from everything we could see during our ultrasound this morning. (And we could see EVERYTHING. This was the most comprehensive scan I've ever experienced. We went over the kid with a fine-tooth comb.)

A few thoughts from the ultrasound room:

* Bringing three kids, ages 8 and under, to an ultrasound isn't the wisest choice. We didn't really have any other option, unless we wanted to pay for a babysitter. And we hoped Natalie, at least, would find it interesting, which she did for the most part. But Teyla? She ran around the room and fussed when we wouldn't let her touch the technician's computer. Connor tossed and turned and whined that he was bored. It was a less-than-delightful 30 minutes.

* Corey and I both thought we saw a little something as the technician was whipping through the measurement portion of the ultrasound. We kept raising our eyebrows at each other and communicating in glances. "Was that a shadow between the femurs? Did you see what I saw?" So we weren't terribly surprised when she zoomed in and said, "It's a boy!"

Connor, however, grinned ear to ear when we made him sit up and look at the screen. "You're going to have a brother, buddy!" After the ultrasound, as we were picking up our coats and gathering our gear and generally acting like we had moved into the ultrasound suite, Connor said in a proud voice, "This is the best day ever!"

(Of course, just a few minutes later, when I said we were going to Chipotle for lunch, a place that isn't his favorite, he scowled and said, "This is the worst day ever!" Such is the life if a six-year-old.)

* As for me? I would say the announcement feels amazing and anti-climactic at the same time. So many people close to us in real life have been saying for months that we're having a boy. (At Thanksgiving, my father-in-law said, "So when do we get confirmation that you're having a boy?" Which irked the rebel in me, if I'm honest.)

It's a little like knowing what you're getting for Christmas. It could be a present you're anticipating and excited to be getting -- but if you know what's wrapped and under the tree, it takes a little of the adrenaline out of opening the package.

Still. What an awesome present. It's just what I wanted -- a healthy baby who will add balance to our family. Connor will have a brother. And I will get to use my baby boy clothes one more time.

It's a BOY!

22 comments:

  1. Hooray! Praise God for a healthy baby boy! I'm so happy for you! I smiled at the description of taking 3 kids with you to the ultrasound, and the conclusion that "it was a less than delightful 30 minutes." Concider this a preview of what is to come- "It was a less than delightful 30 minutes" is sure to apply to many situations in the year to come. ALL worth it, though!!! I am fist bumping you all the way from California, as a way of welcoming you to the club-the moms of 2 boys and 2 girls club. EXCITING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! How exciting! I know how you feel about the ultrasound... The day we found out our fourth child would be a girl was one of the best days ever. I had so longed for my daughter to have a sister and it felt like a confirmation that God's hand was in the whole thing. But you do get kind of tired of people saying, "Oh, I knew it all along!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, I forgot to add, the fist bump was actually to welcome you into the even more exclusive club, the Moms Of Two Boys And Two Girls, One Of Whom Is Named Natalie Club. (AKA, the MOTBATGOOWINNC). Welcome! Now there are two of us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how wonderful! Hunter is jealous (he has 4 sisters). I am so glad that everything went well and that he is healthy!

    Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings, I have just stumbled across your blog and really enjoy it. Just a brief comment about comparing the feeling to knowing what you got for Christmas ahead of time...the last of my three pregnancies I had an ultrasound and knew what the sex was. We picked out the name early on and referred to the baby by his name. When he was born it wasn't "wow, what did we get?" It was wow, I get to finally meet Andrew! It was such a special thing. God bless, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah! Baby boys are so great! How fun for Connor to have a little brother. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats and may God keep his hand on you for the remaining weeks of your preganacy :) hugs and happy christmas

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! I had to laugh when I read your comment about the rebel in you being irked by the assumption it was a boy--that's EXACTLY the reaction I would have, too! In fact, one of my friends is pregnant with her third, and since she already has two boys she's assuming this is a boy too, and even though she's the mother and I'm just the friend, I'm still cheering for it to be a girl just to shatter people's expectations!
    God still has some sanctifying to do in me, obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! I love sonograms. How exciting it is to peek into God's knitting room!

    I have two boys :) Such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yea for Connor! And for you, too! I have a soft spot for boys since I have 3. :) What a perfect Christmas present! Merry Christmas, BBFF!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! That's so exciting! Boys rock!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Merry Christmas! I hope your storm passed you by so that you were able to carry out your original plans. (My husband is a weather geek too!)

    Congratulations on your second healthy boy! I think it is normal to be irritated by people making assumptions about your pregnancy. I had one person who continuously told me that Elizabeth was a boy (ultrasound evidence to the contrary). Some comments should just be avoided, in my opinion. I think that guesses about gender, size of the baby (size of your stomach!), due date and what type of medical interventions you might need all fall into that category.

    So nice for Connor to have a brother, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm having a boy too! :)

    Now if only I liked more boy names....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I missed this before! CONGRATULATIONS! Yay for boys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. A little partial to baby boys, as you well know. And to having a brood of four. Congratulations! The adventure awaits!

    ReplyDelete