Family Overboard

If for some reason you managed to read my 5 Minutes for Parenting post on Wednesday, you might have picked up a smidgeon of foreshadowing at the end.

Specifically, the line that said: "And I just heard someone throw up upstairs. ... Guess we won’t be making that portrait appointment after all."

The Plague. It has infested the Love Well household. Connor got it first, Natalie made it to school before spewing in her classroom. Corey's had the flu -- the real deal, influenza -- since last Saturday. (He hasn't got into work all week, which, if you know Corey, is saying something. The only other illness that sidelined him for that long was malaria.) And I? Well, I've got something -- low fever, lots of aches, mild nausea. But it doesn't fit into a neat category. Apparently, my viruses prefer that I not box them in with labels.

Which leaves the baby. She, of course, is perfectly healthy, which means while the rest of us have been sick and laying on the couch moaning, she's been ransacking the house. From the kitchen, where all my paper plates and cups are strewn around as if we threw a Mardi Gras party, to the bathroom, where every rubber band, Band-Aid and bath toy we own has been dumped out for the fun of it, our house is a disaster.

Thankfully, Connor and Natalie are better today, and I think I've turned the corner. (Corey still looks and sounds horrible, but I think he's going into work tomorrow just because he can't take a full week off. It goes against his nature.) I managed to pick up a bit of the house today, get the contaminated linens are in the wash and clean the vomit from the carpet.

But it left me wondering: How do all y'all deal when everyone in the family gets sick at the same time? This was my first experience. Since we have no family in the area, we just staggered through. Is there something I'm missing, like, perhaps, an emergency day-care for children of sick parents?

Oh! And if you don't mind, go over to 5 Minutes for Parenting and read my Wednesday post, if you haven't already. It's a little esoteric, although it made sense to me. But now I wonder if it was just the fever talking.

18 comments:

  1. we all had the flu (influenza) TWICE last winter. me, husband, 3 kids under 6 and i was pregnant. it was AWFUL. lots of TV. lots of tears. lots of prayers. and we got the flu shot this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless. Your. Heart.

    I can't imagine what I'd do. I really, really cannot even imagine it.

    I'm going to go give everyone their vitamins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you know I'm wanting to say that Teyla didn't get it because of how strong her immune system has become...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Ransacked" What a perfect word to describe what happens here when even just one of us is sick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have only had multiple sickness once, and it was not pretty. But, since then I keep certain things stocked: soup, sprite, crackers, bleach, carpet cleaner (ugh) and little buckets. It seems to work well even when there is only one sicko.

    Hope you and Hubby are feeling better tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm terrified of this happening. It hasn't yet, but I'd sure like to be prepared. So if you get any good advice here, I'll be back to ransack it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We don't have family nearby either. So far (knock on wood) in 5.5 years of parenting my hubby and I haven't been sick at the same time. With 4 under 6 yrs. and me nursing this winter I've threatened my hubby with bodily injury if he brings sickness into my house this year. I do NOT have the energy to clean up vomit. Mine or anyone else's!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When we get sick, we ALL get sick. It's one of the reasons we moved closer to family. The first time we all got the stomach bug, I remember laying on the floor thinking, "We're all gonna die here and no one will know."

    We didn't die. But we still live in fear of the stomach bug. You just muddle through. We paid someone to go to the grocery store and leave a bag of pedialyte on our door step. That was helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had The Stomach Bug BAD two weeks ago. Really, it was awful. Anja had it two days before us, so she did her fair share of ransacking because we were literally too sick to even get up to deal with it. She spent about half the day between play pen and high chair and the other half playing by herself and getting into mischief. We would moan and groan at each other to change diapers and get her food. That's all I got! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A friend brought us a meal, otherwise we watched a lot of TV and watched the mess pile up.
    This would be why we moved to be closer to family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh, we had the stomach flu here last winter and it hit all of us within an hour. My husband was away, and all I could do was fetch more towels, sit on the couch and catch vomit while trying not to spew on anyone myself (I am a sympathetic spewer). Thank God some of them are old enough to make it to the bathroom.

    Also, I may have cried some.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We all had strep and fever last week and part of this week. The only one not sick was my husband, and he couldn't take a day off of work. We watched a LOT of TV. A lot. A lot. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could not imagine having everyone sick. I am just thankful it has never happened yet. I honestly don't think I can manage.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bless your heart. Glad there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my word!!! This happened to us one time with the stomach flu. And, the house just went to *excuse me* hell in a handbag.
    And, then we cleaned like crazy when we came out of it.

    Hope y'all are mucho better now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I laughed out loud at the vision of the baby throwing cups around like it was Mardi Gras! :)

    What usually happens in our house is my son (my only) gets deathly sick (whether it's stomach or cold doesn't make a difference) and then I get it and am sick. Somehow my husband usually misses out on actually getting sick!

    Glad you are all on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH! I am so sorry. It happens though, a lot, that our whole family gets wiped out. I will say that it seems to fall to Mom, regardless of her own state of health, to hold things together. And I suppose that's one of the most eye-opening lessons of motherhood. That Moms truly don't ever get a sick day, no matter what.

    I don't have family nearby either, and you know what? Even if I did, I probably wouldn't rely on them to care for any of us while we were sick because I'd worry about infecting a whole other household.

    ReplyDelete