confessions from this tired supergirl

I have been writing this post for three days now. Three days of editing and reworking and deleting and starting over and walking away and losing inspiration.

I think it has something to do with the kids and the fact that they need something from me approximately every 23 seconds.


Or maybe it’s because my brain has been replaced by a sieve. Every time I sit down to write something for the blog lately, all coherent and witty thoughts drain away. Only sludge remains.


Or maybe it’s because my house isn’t clean and my laundry needs laundering and my car is still in the shop and the baby has another dirty diaper and writing a blog post feels like a luxury compared to the urgent needs staring me in the face.

It’s exhausting, this life of mom and wife and God follower and sometimes-blogger. It’s also exhilarating.

That’s why I love the League of Tired Supergirls.


It’s led by my bloggy best friend, Susanna Foth Aughtmon, who blogs at the aptly named Confessions of a Tired Supergirl. The league is a community of everyday heroes who know that supergirls rarely look as good in their tights as they want to, that real life requires vast quantities of chocolate, even vaster quantities of laughter, generous servings of God’s truth and boundless helpings of grace.


And now, the league has its own handbook – Susanna’s first published work, “All I Need is Jesus and a Good Pair of Jeans: A Tired Supergirl’s Search for Grace.” In it, Susanna catalogs the enemies who daily whisper to us that we aren’t living up to our potential. We meet and face down such villains as Tired Lady, Little Miss No Fair, the Procrastinator and (my personal nemesis) Miz Do Good. Susanna uses humor, the Bible and raw honesty to show us how we can use God’s truth and the occasional roundhouse kick to defeat our foes.

I only recently met Susanna (which is ironic, considering we used to live right down the road from each other), so I didn't know her as she journeyed to write this book and then find someone to publish it. But I am so glad she fought and won that battle. Reading "All I Need is Jesus" is like reading the journal of a funny, authentic and wise friend. I'm proud to name her as a fellow supergirl.

Plus, her book aides me as I go about my supergirl duties, such as conquering the kitchen…

overcoming the toys…

and successfully putting the baby to bed.

(You might note the baby isn't in that picture. That's because I don't win every skirmish. But I try. That's what counts.)

Want to join the league? Then get the book. You can go to Amazon and buy it. (But you might need to use your supergirl speed. They only have two left in stock.) (Which, if you'll permit me, is beyond cool. I never thought I'd say one of my friend's has written a book that has almost sold out on Amazon.)

Alternately, if you're feeling slow on the draw, you can win a copy right here this week.
Leave a comment on this post, and I’ll pick a winner with my super-random selection power on Sunday, February 1.

And now, I'm off to fight my newest enemy, Mr. Writer's Block. Something tells me I can vanquish him with perseverance and lots of prayer and the last of the Peppermint Jo-Jos.

32 comments:

  1. Oh I so need that book! Thanks for telling me about a new blog, too - both of you are so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you mentioning that blog, I think. Any blog you love is probably one I will too. I need to read it! And I need to read the book:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could use that book. I am a supergirl wannabe. And this MN winter has chewed me up and spit me out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need the book. And a good pair of jeans...and the chapter on the Procrastinator. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great book! I would love to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a great book! Count me in! If I'm not too old to be considered a supergirl! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course, sign me up! I've been living life the last week feeling like my cape is stuck in the door! :) Or maybe it's this weather, my blood is starting to congeal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pictures :-). Would love to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where I come from, jo-jos are thick, deep fried potato wedges. So peppermint jo-jos don't sound the least bit appetizing to me. Care to share what those thingys are? =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me, me, Pick me! I know just how you feel Kelly! It's been one of those days... or actually last 2 months!! Can we say moving back in with your parents at 27 with your hubby and 2 kids because your hubby lost his job!!??
    I will definitely be checking out that blog... when I find the time.. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a great book that I'd love to read!
    cheled77@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great book! I think you somehow got a picture of my kitchen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I could respond with a photo of my laundry mess.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd love to read that book.
    snoopy47895@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sweet! Sign me up, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always love a good read - that's funny! When you put my name in the hat, crumple up the paper a little bit, you're sure to choose me then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am totally a supergirl wannabe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. First: I think we're related. Twins, actually. I don't remember the last time I put together a coherent blog post, despite my best intentions.

    Two: I think that book was written for me. Count me in on that giveaway, please!

    ReplyDelete
  19. For having writer's block, you did an excellent job of writing this post. Sure, it took you three days and some such thing, but really lady, you need to give yourself more credit. :)

    Now...I shall WIN the book. Because I'm super.

    ReplyDelete
  20. you're hilarious.
    and i need a new book!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The beginning of this post exhausted me...because it is EXACTLY how I felt yesterday. And a little bit today. For me, it comes in cycles.

    Anyway, the book sounds like a useful tool to combat some of this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Does it matter if the tights are control top? I'd love to put my eyes in need of bifocals on this one. Will the sequel be "An Aging Tired Supergirl"? This year's the 4-0 and today I chose to feel morose about it. Feelings, schmeelings.

    That's why I created the nonsense at my blog and have tagged you to play. Maybe it will loosen your writer's block. Maybe it will just cause a giggle. Hope you can play.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just told my friend, with four boys between the ages of 2 and 6, that she is Superwoman. Because I can't imagine that. I can barely handle my toddler and my newborn boys. Whew.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks good to me! Although I would add this super girl also needs quiet time to read all the wonderful books she hears about...

    ReplyDelete
  25. The title alone got me! Looks like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your kitchen looks just like mine but I have only one third of the children you do. Something is not right with that equation. :) So I guess it goes without saying I would love that book!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I would absolutely love to win this! I can't wait to get my hands on a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ooohhh...am I too late? My internet connection has been so spotty this week that I'm behind in my blogs. That book sounds great. My fav was how it helped you put the baby to sleep ;)

    And this Supergirl looks terrible in tights...why I went into print media rather than television...

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just finished it for 5 Minutes for Books and I highly recommend it for all us tired supergirls!

    ReplyDelete