The Mommy's New Clothes

Two years ago this month, Corey and I officially decided we want to start trying for another baby. (In the lingo of our people, we "pulled the goalie.") I didn't think it was prudent to spend a lot of money on cute fall or winter clothes that year, since I was anticipating shopping in the maternity section very soon.

That hope materialized in early January '07. I happily put the Ann Taylor Loft gift card given to me for Christmas in the back of my wallet and promptly started ordering cute maternity wear from Old Navy, my favorite maternity store.

Then came February and the miscarriage. I quietly returned the maternity clothes designed for summer. And waited.

Then came May, and the discovery of Teyla. The maternity shopping began in earnest. Then came January '08 and the birth of Teyla. The maternity clothes became anathema. Then came summer, also known as The Season of the Oversized T-Shirt.

And that's how it happened. I looked in my closet earlier this week and discovered most everything was out-of-date, dotted with grease or spit-up stains or both. I hadn't bought anything remotely stylish in nearly two years.

So I went shopping -- armed with my trusty (and dusty) Ann Taylor Loft gift card. Head over to 5 Minutes for Parenting to read the rest of the story.

And then come back tomorrow. Before I write any Summer In Review posts, I figured I'd better do an update on the baby. She turned eight months old yesterday, and man, do I have tales to tell.

12 comments:

  1. Just found on 5 Minutes for Parenting... Congratulations on both the new baby and the new clothes...life's greatest joys put together. We are neighbors, I went to college in Minneapolis, but I now live in North Dakota of all places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun!! Heading over to read about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be popping over there next. Just wanted to say that clothing is such an issue with moms. We seem to wait until our clothes are completely bedraggled before we'll treat ourselves.

    I saw my mom do it, too.

    Oh. And I am totally superstitious about buying maternity clothes. I still have trouble looking at maternity stuff, and I am halfway done with my current pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baby updates are so fun. Mine recently turned 7 months.

    I have a feeling yours might be very close to walking at the rate she was going. That girl seemed to be on a mission!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the new baby and on the new clothes :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i bought a few maternity clothes early in the pregnancy, a few knowing this is most likely my last, but now the low rise jeans are creeping down and i'm searching for a new pair with the full belly panel. and it's amazing how quick you grow tired of the same old maternity tops. i keep telling myself only 3 months left to go, surely i can stand the clothes that much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for shopping with a good drink and a sleeping baby! What fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally can't log in to comment over there, but I loved that post. So often I've realized that I'm suddenly RIGHT OUT OF CLOTHING, and then what do I do? I can't afford the super fashionable stuff and I don't want to shop in the Junior's Department....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like such a fun day!

    Can't wait for a Teyla update! How did she manage to turn 8 months old already?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing better than a free shopping spree! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Ann Taylor Loft. Hope you had fun!

    ReplyDelete