Zucchini In My Kitchen

My kitchen is overrun with zucchini.

And I couldn't be happier.

I know it sounds weird, but the last time I was overrun with zucchini, I had a garden. And I miss my garden.

To quell my veggie lust, I jointed a CSA this past June, which is a lot like buying a share in a local farm. Practically, it means every other Monday, I drive to the chiropractor's office around the corner and unload a box of veggies and drive home giggling that I get to have the bounty of a garden without all the work.


Yesterday, I was pondering Beth's You Capture challenge and I looked in my fridge and saw four different varieties of zucchini just waiting for some attention.

And lo, a light bulb went off over my head. It was a gloomy, cloudy, summer day. Everyone was a little grumpy. I had a bounty of squash. What we clearly needed was cake.

Or should I say, vegetables disguised as cake.

I got busy shredding. (I heart my Cuisinart.)

A globe zucchini. I know it looks like a pumpkin, but I promise. It's not.

A vortex of shredded squash. (Way more than I needed for the cake. Guess who's going to make zucchini bread and muffins later today?)

The cake batter just before I added the shredded zucchini.

The finished cake.

Connor (who wore his pajamas ALL DAY yesterday) eating his veggies.

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup oil
1 3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup sour cream
2 1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tbsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups grated zucchini

Cream margarine, oil and sugar. Stir in eggs, vanilla, sour cream until well blended. Sift dry ingredients together (or don't; I never do) and add to batter. Stir in zucchini. Spread into greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.

Optional topping: Combine 1/2 cups chopped pecans, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1 cup chocolate chips and sprinkle on top.

Notes:
*This is a really sweet cake. So feel free to decrease the sugar a tad if you wish.
*I haven't tried it, but I bet you could replace some of the flour with whole wheat flour without anyone noticing.
*Because I had so much zucchini, I piled my cups high. I bet I put in more like 3 cups when all was said and done.
*The topping is really good. But I have trouble with it. It always sinks into the cake, making it even more sweet. I tried putting on just chocolate chips and pecans last night, and the chocolate chips still sank into the batter while baking. If you want to try it, maybe put it on halfway through baking?
*My oven is anemic, so I always end up cooking it closer to 50 minutes. Just look for a clean toothpick to come out of the middle and you'll be fine.
*This cake is super moist (can't believe I just said that word because I LOATHE it), so eat it quickly or refrigerate it. It will go bad quickly otherwise.
*If you don't tell them, no one will know there is zucchini in this cake. Muwhahahahaha..

This post is part of You Capture: In the Kitchen at I Should be Folding Laundry.

17 comments:

  1. Great way to disguise the veggies!!! Looks great! I may try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. I've never seen a zucchini that wasn't long and skinny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! I have some zucchini to use up and bake a lot of bread with it...but haven't tried cake yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool that you found a CSA to join. My garden is my happy place, so I totally hear you about missing yours. Someday again? I've been busy shredding zucchini and freezing it for baking this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh too funny. My kids love the brownies I make with zucchini too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooohhh I am gonna have to give my mom this recipe it looks yummy she always makes zucchini bread so it would be nice to try it as a cake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The shot of the shredded zucchini looks so cool! And your cake looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are my kind of cook! I love hiding zucchini in muffins, bread and chocolate cake. I've never seen a globe zucchini before--very interesting looking. Picture of your cake makes me hungry. Hope that the cake helped chase the grumpies away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, YUM. I've seen a recipe for zucchini crisp (like apple crisp, only, obviously, with zucchini instead of apples), but this looks even better. A great solution to all the zucchini your neighbors leave on your doorstep in the middle of the night!

    (Or maybe it's just in my neck of the woods people anonymously depose of their zucchini like that.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I do the same thing with my zucchini - I add a cup to brownie mix and make mini-brownie muffins and my kids don't even realize there is zucchini in it, even though they help me make it!

    I too love my CSA!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that shreaded zucchini!!! what a great idea for a picture!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, that sounds deliciously sneaky!! I'm going to have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I HATE THE WORD MOISTE TOO! Like, haaaaaate it.

    Also, that cake looks AMAZING. I think that's what I need right now to get my brain through this spreadsheet I'm (not) working on. : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks pretty good! I just stumbled across your blog...it's great!

    I've been zucchini and squash in anything and everything I can think of...I guess it's that time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't been by in a long time. I'm a big blogging slacker as of late. Anyways, I couldn't stop at just a few posts, I had to keep reading.
    Your little man is adorable!
    And, I also loathe the word moist! I'm not sure why, but that is just the worst word!

    ReplyDelete