Miracle Drug

Saturday night, I found my hidden stash of Unisom and B6.

It was at the very bottom of my box of maternity clothes, stuffed down with the medical paraphernalia the hospital sends home with you after you've had a baby. I have no idea why I didn't look for it there sooner. Maybe it has something to do with living in the pit of misery every moment of every day for the last six weeks. Or maybe I was just being lazy.

All I know is, I was thinking once again, "Maybe I should send Corey to the drug store to get me some Unisom and B6 because I think that helped the nausea last time," when I had an ephiphany about where it was located.

After I consulted the Internet about the correct dosages, I cut my Unisom pill in half, grabbed a B6 and popped them all with my prenatal vitamin. Then I fell into bed and lay in the dark, waiting for sleep to descend so I could fall into oblivion and escape the nausea for a few hours.

And lo, I woke up Sunday morning, and I felt better. Not perfect, not second-trimester pregnant, but better. When I shared the news with Corey, my husband looked at me like I was a total dork and said, "I can't believe you haven't been taking this all along. You took it religiously with Teyla, and you said it made a huge difference."

So I went to church and drank my tea and ate lunch at Chipotle. I felt queasy, but never nauseous. I even managed to get through the afternoon and evening, which is usually the worst time of the day for me, without laying on the couch and sending death wishes skywards.

Needless to say, I took my miracle drug again last night. And I woke up this morning with the same, "I don't feel awful" revelation.

But now, I can't wake up. I don't know if the caffeine withdrawal is setting in a month after I gave up coffee (because it is boiled mud to me in the first trimester) or if the Unisom is stacking up in my system. Either way, I've fallen asleep three times already this morning while the kids are destroying the house around me. (One time, I woke up to find Teyla playing with the tube of Desitin. Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!)

But I'm not nauseous, and for that, I'm thankful. I think I'll go have some toast and tea. And this time, I'll make it black.

21 comments:

  1. I'll have to remember this for my next one! I was miserable with my last pregancy until I hit the 2nd trimester!

    Glad you've found a little relief! Hoping the sickness leaves you soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this antidote. I religiously sucked on Lemonhead candies and drank water with cut lemons to stave off the nausea. Very glad to hear that you're feeling better.

    For that intense fatigue, I used to fence the children into a safe area and lay down on the floor next to them. And doze between the carnage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to remember this for next time. A friend of mine who's 8 weeks behind me said it worked for her, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if unisom is anything like the anti-nausea miracle I took while pregnant with my boys (only puked 3 times a week with it, vs many times a day) but it made me dreadfully, dreadfully tired.
    Dreadfully.
    I only had a toddler and he watched a ridiculous amount of TV while blockaded in the living room. Saved my carpet that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless your sweet heart. I'm glad you're doing a tad better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad it helped--my drug of choice was ice cream. THough eventually I was able to at least channel it into a yogurt thing and save myself before I exploded.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you found something that works! So it wasn't the ginger that did it in the end ;).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hopefully the tea was black and not the toast! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank goodness for some relief! I can't imagine weeks on end of nausea with THREE OTHER CHILDREN to care for. You rock, lady. Rock on with your bad (legally) drugged up self. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad to know of this, Kelly! With AJ, I had all-day nausea, but it was HORRIBLE in the late afternoon and evening. UGH. I would have loved to have known about this back then.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you remembered your wonder cure! I am sure it has been so long since you have taken it that your body is just adjusting.

    Hope it keeps up!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had no idea that this miracle combination existed! I hope it keeps working and working for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was all about soda crackers and sprite. Hopefully, prayerfully, I'll never have to worry about morning sickness again!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  14. That B6...definitely takes the edge off. Those are hard days, that first trimester.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aha! Remember our little B6 convo from the other day? As I read this I remembered a key point. When I took a whole B6 in the morning, I felt dead tired by night. My doctor said to take 1/2 a B6 in the morning, and another one in late afternoon/early evening. (That's when I bought my very first pill-cutter.) It did the trick!

    Regardless, tired is better than 24/7 nausea, right?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I could only do that for a week because it was making me so tired during the day. But, just that one week of use knocked it out of me for the rest of the pregnancy. And along with happy geek I sequestered my toddler in a safe play area where he watched too much TV while I laid lifeless on the couch. He was happy as a clam in there, however, because he was free to do whatever he wanted in his little area without any stern "don't touch that" demands. Oh the joys of pregnancy :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. An avid coffee drinker/addict, I too could NOT STAND THE STUFF when pregnant--one clue to the otherwise unexpected (ahem) blessing of number four.

    May you continue to feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I tried the B6 but it didn't work very well, though I was worried about taking too much so I only took 1 50mg/day. So I don't think I gave it enough chance.

    We discovered the wonders of Unisom at about week 8, and amen sister, sweet relief! My OB refused to give me Zofran so I was surprised to find out it contains the same ingredient as Unisom. But over-the-counter and cheaper? I'll take it.

    I found taking a whole pill at night made me too groggy to get out of bed in the morning for work, so I started taking half a pill and it was the perfect amount to get me through the night.

    I'm at week 17 now and while I still have good days and bad days (which I have found is most likely related to how well I ate the day before) but it's definitely manageable. But it's so good to know that Unisom is there if ever I should need it!

    Wishing you a quick trip to 2nd Tri!

    ReplyDelete