It's Like A Virtual Baby Shower

You know what cracks me up about baby showers -- besides the annoying games? ("I'm going to show you a tray of baby things and then you'll have five minutes to write down everything you can remember!" Look, lady, I'm lucky to be here remembering my own name. Can we just eat some cake and open some presents?)

The fact that talk inevitably turns to all things pregnancy and childbirth-related. It's like a lure no one can resist. Once someone says, "With my first, I was dilated to 2 at four months. But I was still a week overdue...," we're off and running.

(Not so coincidentally, this is also the time when all men in a 5-mile radius perk up their ears and hear the warning siren that says, "Run for the hills! They're talking labor!")

Anyway. The idea that we women can't resist pregnancy stories is the idea behind my new Pregnancy Journal over at 5 Minutes for Parenting. It's been going on for a couple of weeks now, but I was so tired last Wednesday, I neglected to point you to the post I did on "morning" sickness. (Note: The comments on that post made my whole week.) And today, I share my thoughts on pregnancy dreams. Get ready for some bizarre.

I hope you'll join me over at 5MP every Wednesday, if you don't already, so I can hear some of your stories. This is most likely my last pregnancy, so I'm trying to take advantage of all my accumulated history and wisdom (snort) and write it all down.

Something tells me, I'll never miss the nausea, though.

5 comments:

  1. You are right - Everyone mother (and Dad) has a story to tell.. the topics can be down right funny and gross... I remember my mother in law asking me if I had hemorrhoids yet... while we were eating spaghetti - I no longer look at spaghetti without thinking about hemorrhoids.... lol

    Love to you.
    kelly
    http://www.ivebecomemymother.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog! I stumbled on it. {grin} This is a great idea - what is it with pregnancy/baby stories?? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found that it's not just that people were compelled to tell stories, they were compelled to tell frightening stories about their aunt's sister's friend who had some amazingly rare complication. Usually in great gory detail.

    Since I wasn't supposed to be able to get pregnant at all and since I'd been told that even if I got pregnant I'd likely lose the pregnancy, this was not exactly reassuring.

    I try to curb my desire to do the same thing now :)

    The other thing that bugged me was everyone and their dog suddenly thought it was okay to comment on my appearance. You look tired/radiant/good/sick/shiny/fat/the same/etc

    My absolute favourite was the guy who told me that he had noticed I was putting on weight over the last few months and only just now realized that it was "localized" (!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. By reading the information n comments in your site i lost my fear about pregnency.

    Thanks to YOU...........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    ReplyDelete