I'll Take Most Excellent Harmonies for $500, Alex

It's been a long day.

I could tell you how Teyla got up four times last night (and Connor twice) and how one of those times she was up for 90 minutes. I could tell you that she didn't nap today, again, except for a few brief cat naps in the car. I could tell you that I was alone with the kids for the evening, again, since Corey taught Bible study last night and had a client in town tonight. I could tell you how I decided to try to make tonight special for Connor and Natalie by making fall cookies with them, but that decorating cookies loses its charm when a 9-month-old is hugging your knee the entire time you're working with the kids, sobbing and falling down and trying desperately to get you to pick her up because she's so, so overtired she doesn't even know what to do with herself.

But instead, I'll just show you this video. Because in the end, this is how I want to remember tonight.



"Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious -- the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies."
- Philippians 4:8-9, The Message

(For what it's worth, I'm so backblogged this week -- hat tip to Angie for the brilliant word creation -- that it's not even funny. Exhaustion will do that to a person. But I'm coming 'round to visit this weekend. I promise.)

21 comments:

  1. That baby giggle just makes it all better, doesn't it? They are precious, Kelly. And here's hoping that you sleep ALL NIGHT tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the video. That laugh is precious. I hope you get some rest tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Playing the sound of a baby giggle throughout the chaos of this world could in itself cause world peace. Or at least laughter. May a nap capture your afternoon--hers and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gotta give you credit - letting Connor play nestled between the tub and the toilet AND letting your sweet baby put her precious fingers ON the toilet seat? You're amazing. I would've had them outta there so fast - forget the video!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, thank you. I needed that little reminder. And oh,yeah. Backblogged! CLEVER! (and Me too!) I hope your day goes better today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, Teyla's hair is the best!!!

    You gave me a much needed smile (and reminder) this morning.

    I've been trying so hard to focus on those same verses in the last few weeks. It really does help.

    It's so hard to do when exhausted. I hope you have peace and believe fully that you're an excellent mommy. Cause you are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what an adorable moment. Sometimes it is the last moment of the day that make the horrible day just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope the weekend is a complete refresher for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE your focus! What a great video and good memory to hang on to! You are a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Her laugh is too cute--and I like Leah's suggestion that you're pretty brave by letting the kids play by the toilet :) That made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been exhausted this week, too. Thank you so much for reminding me that little giggles make everything worth it. The Scripture was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What cuties! Hoping you get some much needed sleep very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That giggle is precious! I'd want to remember that too!

    Hoping you get some rest soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Reading this made me grab the camera and video the kids just being silly, and I'm so glad I did. THAT is what I want to remember from these years. Thank you for the push. It was just what I needed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Baby giggles and big brother love make the world go round. :o) You are so blessed! Even sleep deprived, which Lord knows is still a valid torture tool because IT WORKS, you're in a great place in life. When you get all the sleep you need, you will miss it. No really, LOL. Way to treasure the moments... and wait a minute, you make cookies when you're sleep deprived?? I didn't even hit the bakery at that stage, so high five yourself from me! :o)

    Blessings, Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't believe you used "backblogged" on your blog before I could. I'm flattered. :)

    Thanks for your great perspective. You're right... THAT'S how we should remember our days, even if those moments are few and far between.

    ReplyDelete
  17. sweetness - i love watching my kids interact!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That baby giggle is just precious. Good job, Mom, and remembering and capturing the good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Girl, I had one of 'those' days yestereday (and blogged about it). I had to stop myself though and find the humor in it all.

    Your post is a great reminder to me! Adjusting to life with 2 children has been and (I'm sure) will continue to be an adjustment! I hope that on the rough days ahead with a toddler and infant, I'll remember this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sweet. Hope you've gotten some rest.

    Glad you backed up a bit with the camera. I was wondering why the kids were in the tub in their pj's. I thought, wow, she really IS tired!

    ReplyDelete