Two Weeks

Two weeks. And then summer will be over.

The realization of that hit my stomach last night with a thud. It was a gut punch of shock.

“But, but, but….” my soul stammered. “I’m not ready! I haven’t relaxed. I haven’t really enjoyed my kids. I haven’t soaked up enough sun. It can’t happen yet.”

And it’s true. True summer delight has eluded me this year. (More on that at my 5 Minutes for Parenting post today.) I’m the worse for it.


To try and plug the dam of regret, I’m going to take the next two weeks and let the blog go dark. (Unless I have something incredibly blog-worth to share. And that might happen. After all, I have plans to go to the Minnesota State Fair next week, and I'm certain that all fairs are blogging gold.)


I have all sorts of writing I need to do; my brain needs a reboot, it seems. And I think I need to do that writing in private. It may get posted on my blog eventually, but the process of the writing needs to be done away from outside pressures.


Also, my parents are coming for a visit next week. (Read: to see the grandchildren). I only get to see G-Dog and J (not their real names) (as if) a few days each year. As much as I love you all – and truly, my favorite thing about blogging is the community that develops – I need to be able to focus the next few weeks on the people in front of me.


That also includes these three.


(Notice how I stealthily snuck in my new favorite picture?)

I’m ashamed to say how often I’ve resisted those sweet smiles this summer. It makes me feel a bit frantic.


But I have the next two weeks. I intend to make them the best two weeks of summer.


See you in September.

24 comments:

  1. That picture is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy what is left of your summer! Soak in every morsel of it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that picture! You have a great time with those kids until September. We'll be here when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took a break from blogging a couple of weeks ago and it was delightful. It really did make for the best week of the summer. I hope the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These two weeks are YOURS! Don't carry a cloud of regret along, just PLAY in them!! Let the blog go dark, we'll be waiting here when you get back, free of regret and FULL of life!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy, delight and thrill. We'll still be here when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a precious picture! i feel the same way about my fleeting summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, while you are having a great time with those precious kids, we have to have a famine of two weeks without pictures?! You better bring some great ones when you come back! LOL

    Have a great time. Soak up some sun in a bottle for next March! I'll miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Consider yourself excused :)
    Have fun, soak up sun.
    If I run into you at the fair next week--never know, it could happen, I'll jump up and down and squeal like the little piggies in the big barn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally understandable - enjoy your time!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can totally see why that is your new favorite picture.

    And you will never regret taking a bloggy break in order to spend time with the ones most precious to you. I also only get to see my parents one or two weeks out of the year, so I know how important it is to make the most of that time. Looking forward to hearing all of your stories when you return!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have a great break! I think I might do the same thing - we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is one of my top 10 favorite photos of all time, even considering I take about 100 pictures of Jordan every week. GREAT PICTURE !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a pic! Too cute for words! When my youngest was a baby, his next-oldest brother by two years would climb in the crib with him whenever he heard him awake--it was the cutest thing!

    Enjoy your break.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE that pic!
    And I have worse news. Not only is summer nearly over and I haven't enjoyed it properly, but I'm all panicky cuz we're leaving and did I do everything? No. Sigh.
    Enjoy your break and time with family. See you in Sept--that works better for me anyway ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, they are completely adorable. YES--go be with all of your family. You'll never regret it. And thanks for commenting at my site today, despite my messing up the date for the study (I redid last week's. Ugh.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love what you wrote on lotsofscotts blog as I am in a marriage that is something. We are not doing well, but I am not willing to give up. I love hearing from others that made it to the other side. I know God showed your comment at the perfect time because it gave me a little more strength to keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a frame-worthy picture. Your kids are beautiful.

    Enjoy the rest of August. I am jealous of people who live in places where the school district values summer.

    My kids have been back in school for two full weeks now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Darling picture.

    Enjoy family and summer! Where did summer go?!

    See ya soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope it is a fabulous two weeks.

    That picture is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think I sat next to your picture in our group photo at the Siesta Fiesta...(I love the picture on your blog of child labor...hee hee hee)!

    ReplyDelete