Seven

I can scarcely comprehend what I'm about to type, but that doesn't make it less true.

My firstborn is now seven years old.

In many ways, life before Natalie -- my pre-Mommy, pre-baby life -- seems as distant and cold as the moon. Yes, I had an exciting job. Yes, we lived in paradise. Yes, we had great friends.

But until Natalie came along, we didn't function as a family. We didn't stop to see beauty in the everyday.

We didn't love well.

Natalie changed everything.

Viewed through that lens, my life didn't really start until Natalie was born. Maybe that's why each birthday she celebrates feels like a huge milestone to me. "Hey, look at us, world! We're seven now!"

Plus, she has a summer birthday, and I can't think of a season that lends itself better to birthday parties. Summer is happy and delightful and sweet and fun. Just like Natalie.

Her party this year was at an indoor water park at a nearby community center. Originally, we thought about hosting a gathering at our favorite lake. Natalie loves to swim, and she would be at the lake every day if given the chance. (Like daughter, like mother.) But we live in the Midwest, and the weather here is fickle. I didn't want to risk a party at the lake only to have it storm at the last minute.

The party's theme was Flip Flop Flun Fun. (You try to say it without saying "flun.")

Of course, a flip flop party needs a flip flop cake. I copied this design, and since I promised via Twitter to post pictures of the results, here you go:

Not perfect, but I don't seek perfection for my kids' birthday cakes. I seek yumminess. Boxed cake mixes are not allowed. Nor is frosting from a can. Cakes at my house are made from scratch and topped with homemade buttercream. As it should be.

This year, we also made homemade ice cream to go with the cake -- chocolate ice cream with leftover cake, sprinkles, marshmallow cream and pieces of Reese's peanut butter cups thrown in. Because a birthday isn't a birthday if you don't have 2,000 calories at dessert.

At the party, we decorated flip flops...

...ate snacks and cake...

...dodged the baby who was swooping around the room, drooling in people's hair, courtesy of Dad.

And the pool. Oh my goodness. The shrieking. The laughing. The shrieking. (Seriously. Seven-year-old girls have some ear-splitting shriek potential.)





I believe Natalie had a memorable time. Something about how she kept saying, "This is the best day ever!" all afternoon.

Of course, for Corey and me, the best part was celebrating the gift of her. Natalie is kind and adventurous and creative and sweet. She's a terrific big sister, always eager to play with Teyla and do something special for Connor. Thanks to her, my walls are decorated with drawings and paintings and projects that are as beautiful as she is.

She's the best reason to love well. Happy seven, sweet-pea.

21 comments:

  1. Oh wow- happy birthday to her! Your flip flop idea was great- so fun!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cake is adorable and that party sounds like a ton of ear-splitting fun.
    Even better is the loving tribute to your daughter, your reason to love well. How sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My oldest, Jack, turned 7 in March.
    And it seems impossible to me that my sweet big headed baby with the round eyes is a boy now. Not a little boy. But a boy boy. It goes by too fast, Kelly. It really does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's beautiful, and I'm totally stealing the flip flop party idea, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such fun! And good for you: I don't seek perfection for my kids' birthday cakes. I seek yumminess. Boxed cake mixes are not allowed. Nor is frosting from a can. Cakes at my house are made from scratch and topped with homemade buttercream. As it should be.

    Oh, and regarding the dodged the baby who was swooping around the room, drooling in people's hair, courtesy of Dad. I'm thinking Dad was secretly hoping said baby would spew on someone's hair. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a wonderful post - happy birthday to your lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 7th to you and your baby girl!

    And super impressed with the cake :) My kids think birthday cakes only come from the grocery store bakery ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the cake with the fruit roll ups for the thong part...what a great idea!

    Happy Birthday, to all of you!
    Love that last b/w shot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She sure is growing up!! Happy (belated) Birthday, Natalie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is so blessed to have a mommy who treasures her!

    What a fun (and cute themed) party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Time flies, doesn't it?

    Great party idea!! Happy Birthday, Natalie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So precious.

    It's kinda hard to read a post about someone with the same name. You almost made me feel really good about myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really liked seeing the fun party and thinking about 7 years ago. Thanks and nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great party idea! The cake was precious. Happy Birthday at your house!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woo hoo! I knew we were blog friends for a reason--homemade cake and buttercream icing. You are a kindred spirit. What a fun party!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey! We had a birthday party today, too. Only you were smarter - you held it elsewhere, so you didn't have to clean the house.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy belated birthday. Looks like the party was a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday to the birthday girl! Love that "slipper" cake!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh she is just beautiful!!!
    Sounds like she had a fabulous birthday. I pray blessings pour out over that big girl!!

    Hugs,
    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Birthday Natalie !! Hopefully we can see you guys for Christmas. Keep your fingers crossed. We are waiting for some miles to kick-in, to see if there are tickets available for us. Miss you !!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a sweet tribute to Natalie. Do you ever call her Natty? I would if I had a Natalie. I think it's cute. Did you ever see the movie, "The Journey of Natty Gann?" I loved it.

    I'm a little ADD this morning.

    That picture of her at the end is beautiful. And I know just what you mean about life not starting until you had kids. I feel the same way!

    ReplyDelete