He Gives and Takes Away

Like Job, I can only say, "The LORD gave [chikin] and the LORD has taken away [chikin]; may the name of the LORD be praised."

For lo, I have eaten of the Chick-fil-A, and I have left it behind. And verily, I did not taste of the Chick-n-Minis for the cursed hours of the breakfast menu I did miss by score and ten minutes.

Sigh.

But I'm over it now. Because I know I'll get another chance. According to CFA's website, they have locations in Kansas City, and I'll be traveling there in April for a cousin's wedding. God's mercies really are new every morning, aren't they? And you can bet I'll be up earlier next time to appreciate those mercies.

Plus, I'm back in Minnesota today. The sun is shining, the snow is glistening, ice crystals are forming in my bronchi passages. I'm positively giddy! Our high today is 14 (after a low of -6 last night), and we're eagerly expecting 20 to appear on our thermometers
tomorrow . Break out the lawn chairs and sunscreen!

And yes, that would be sarcasm pooling on your screen. Better wipe it up before it freezes.

My feelings may be summed up best by this poem my husband sent me last week. (Author unknown; I would guess hypothermia did them in.)
It's winter in Minnesota
And the gentle breezes blow
At fifty miles an hour
And thirty-five below.

Oh, how I love Minnesota
When the snow's up to your butt
You take a breath of winter
And you nose gets frozen shut.

Yes, the weather here is wonderful
So I guess I'll hang around
I could never leave Minnesota
'Cause I'm frozen to the ground!
I think I'm going to start a petition: "Minnesotans for Global Warming."

Or maybe "Minnesotans for Chick-fil-A."

Because if we're going to freeze, we should at least die happy.

21 comments:

  1. Funny! And I am still jealous of your weather (though not of your lack of Chick-Fil-A - we have one a couple of miles from our house)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is funny! I will no longer take chick- fila for granted. It is a blessing for which I will be grateful:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I am enjoying it for you. Twice since I read you original chicken post. The peanut oil is solidifying on my thighs.

    Be thankful it is a sometimes food in Minnesota. Seeing as how you are stuck to the ground and all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, Kelly, you need to come up with a Chick-Fil-A plan for Kansas City. You know, an M.O. so you can hit it at least once daily while you're in town.

    Start planning NOW.

    And on the last day? Order a TRAY of chicken nuggets and take it on the plane with you. (Oh honey, you could make a small fortune with that thing...) - but hang on to it and store those little gems in your fridge once you get home...or in the freezer...the nuggets freeze well, which should be handy for your frozen state.

    So either the freezer or your deck. Whichever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you are a prime candidate to be one of their franchise owners! You can open their first one. They are really great to their folks and make it much easier than most FF restaurants to open one.

    Now I absolutely know Minnesota is a desolate place. The cold would be bad enough. But no CFA? Fergit it!!

    Minnesota in winter, I do believe, is the place that I've heard it said that you should move to when you've been given only 6 months to live. You might not live longer, but it will sure seem like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe Chick-Fil-A hasn't spread up north. It is simply the best chicken! Come visit me, dear. NC is full of 'em...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've eaten Chick Fil A since I was a kid. LOVE IT! And they have the very best kids' meals. If you don't want the toy, you can trade it in for an ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will join the coalition for Minnesotans for global warming or at least Minnesota warming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you believe I've never been to Chick-Fil-A? We don't have one here and I've never thought to go on my layovers. Is it that good?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that poem. You know it's been a long winter when -3c (28f) seems really warm and you take your kids outside without their coats on.
    Most Canadians have had a hard time taking Global Warming seriously this winter.
    May your day be filled with near freezing temperatures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you went home and check the CFA website to see where there nearest location was to any possible locale you might be visiting!
    That is dedication to chikin enjoyment right there.
    We have a bit of a warming trend here, 26 today and I didn't even have to zip my coat! It was so balmy.
    I'll sign your petition for Global Warming anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry, that comment is full of grammar and spelling errors. How embarrassing. I didn't proofread because I'm so busy watching Caillou.
    He's just a kid whose 4 and each day he grows some more...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry you've been separated from the nectar of life that is Chicken Olay.

    We just had it for dinner. Delish.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's almost midnight and all this talk about Chick-Fil-A has my mouth watering! The temp here tomorrow is to be 71 degrees...we can brake out the lawn chairs! I would love some snow but God knew what He was doing by placing me in the South!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Am I understanding that you do not have a Chick-Fil-A where you live? Horrors! I think this means I should go eat a super-sized chicken tender combo meal in your honor today! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never tasted Chik-fil-a until I moved to Maryland 2 years ago, having been a Minneapolis resident my whole life before that. But I will trade ANYTHING for a Caribou! The closest one for us is an hour drive. Of course, that fact keeps my latte spending at bay...but still!! Enjoy an extra hot, half-caff, medium lite white raspberry for me, k? Oh, and don't even get me started on Brueggers...*sniff*

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, your Chik-Fil-A post below cracked me up! (I guess I'm being "punny" because when you called it "crack" I had a Diet Dr. Pepper spew...)

    I'm so sorry you are in the land of 10,000 lakes but no chikin... That is truly sad, and now I know how I can be praying for you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. A friend recently brought their chicken fingers to a kid's party. I had never been a fan but I thought I had died and gone to heaven.....

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't believe how cold it gets in Minnesota! You need some hot chicken sandwiches to keep you warm :)

    ReplyDelete