Why I Can't Find Anything


The windows in my kitchen had already turned to mirrors, the inky sky outside a foil to the pre-dinner chaos inside.

The counter was littered with dishes, both clean and dirty. I was trying to regain a foothold and straighten up before we launched into another meal and dirtied even more dishes. Standing at the sink, washing Kieran's highchair tray for the 483rd time that day, I saw said toddler walk calmly into view. My eyes followed him as he walked past me, to the cupboard next to the oven. He opened a door, the one to the pots and pans, and threw in a sock. Then he shut the door and walked away, as if the whole thing never happened.

No wonder I can't find anything in this house.

Joining Heather today for Just Write.

9 comments:

  1. I laughed right out loud at this as I watched my then-toddler do something very similar. And just yesterday I was talking with a 5yo on why "throw everything behind the dresser" is not a viable cleanup strategy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! You just made me LOL!

    Simpatico right here, sister. I was a disorganized mess beFORE I had 4 kids. Now, it's just hopeless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laughing! Silly boy. These are the absurd moments of parenting that no one can tell you about because no one knows about them until they happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES. Yesterday I found my extra set of truck keys in the play kitchen microwave. I have been looking for those things for MONTHS.

    ARGG!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm---laughing---right---now!!!
    Aaaaaahhh...that felt good. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So poetic and then BAM! Real life motherhood truth. I love it.

    And I found a boy-sized sword and a miniature army man guarding my casserole dishes last night. I get it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha! I think you nailed motherhood right on the head. LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my word yes! When anything small goes missing we blame Noah. He stole the wingnut that holds my mom's applesauce maker all together. That was hard to use for the next batch! Thankfully that is the one piece that is relatively easy to replace!

    ReplyDelete