Home

First real morning in the new house.

I reached for a bowl – and it was there. I didn’t have to dig for the cereal. I knew we had milk (and I didn’t have to move boxes to open the fridge).

After the kids left for school, I made myself a scrambled egg on my new gas stove. (It's the first thing I've cooked in a week.) I smiled as I watched the burner click-click-click and then whoosh. Blue flame, hot and true. I've waited eight years to cook on a gas stove again. ("Now you're cooking with gas," my brain said to itself. My brain makes me laugh.)

I sat down at the kitchen table. pushed aside the glittery remains of Valentine stickers, and handed Kieran chunks of banana while I ate my eggs and drank my OJ. (I must have OJ with eggs. Nothing else will do.) Teyla slipped down from the table, and I turned on the TV next to the kitchen fireplace and I nibbled on a cinnamon roll while the happy and innocent refrains of Dora filled the room. I haven't been able to eat and watch TV with my kids in four years.

And now I’m sitting at my new desk in my new bedroom watching the sunshine light the trees in my backyard. Bare tree limbs next to sturdy firs. The light is golden, the promise of spring to come.

Everything is new -- yet it's all familiar, somehow.

Hello Monday. Welcome home.

10 comments:

  1. So happy for you. Can't wait to see photos of your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful. And I am in awe that you were able to go EIGHT years without a gas stove. I've gone a little over two, and I still want to weep a little every time I turn on my darned electric stove. You, my friend, are a very strong woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE!! So glad you are home, friend. Enjoy. Ironically, OJ is one thing I can't STAND to drink when I eat eggs. Isn't that weird?

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH! PS I am off right now to buy some tulips at Trader Joe's. I hope you have some or will be getting some soon. I always think of you when the tulips are in bloom at TJs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take PICTURES!!! I want to see! It sounds lovely. :) Happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. :)

    I like OJ, don't like eggs really.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was thinking I'd have to wait a lot longer than this to read another post from you. You sound like you're well on your way to be "settled". That's awesome! I vote for a pictures-only post sometime soon. =)

    ReplyDelete