WFMW: New Recipes

I'm trying my hand at Works for Me Wednesday this week, partly because I think Shannon is a brilliant blogger, and partly because this week's theme is Kitchen Organization, and that phrase is bewitching for a neat freak who likes to cook, such as me.

(Also? Run-on sentences. They call to me. And not in a healthy way.)

Recently, I was reminded that one of the best things I can do to keep my kitchen organized is keep my meals planned out at least a week in advance. And the best way for me to keep up to date with that task is to put new recipes on my menu. Cooking new dishes keeps me excited about cooking dinner each night, and keeps my husband interested in coming home to eat. (Not that he has a choice, but it sounds nice, doesn't it?) It also keeps the kids on their toes, because they never know what's coming when they ante up to the table. (Mwuhahahaha!)

For the past few years, my favorite new recipe source, hands down, is Martha Stewart's "Everyday Food." It's a tiny magazine that packs a wallop in the kitchen, because it's ALL recipes. And said recipes are tasty, ingenious, creative -- and they don't require you to
make fondant vegetables or have your own bee colony in order to make them work. It's Martha-owned without being too Martha-esque.

Their September 2008 issue was especially killer. When I first picked it up, I started folding down the page corner when I found a recipe I wanted to try. Halfway through the magazine, I realized I'd marked EVERY SINGLE RECIPE so far. And the rest of the magazine was just as good. I guess I'm not tearing out pages from this one. I'm just keeping the whole thing.

Here are a few recipes from the September issue that grabbed me. I can only personally vouch for the Late Summer Vegetable Soup, which was AMAZING. (I made it last weekend, since I had some corn from the farmer's market that I wanted to use up. I'm going to make a few more batches while zucchini, green beans and corn are still in season so I can enjoy summer-in-a-bowl come January.) The other two recipes are on my list for this next week.

Late summer vegetable soup













Herb-crusted salmon with spinach salad













Glazed pork chops with smashed potatoes and stewed green beans












And here are a few from past issues that are long-time favorites with me and my family.

Mini turkey burgers with sweet potato fries
Best kid-friendly meal ever. This is my go-to meal when Corey is out of town.











Roasted pork loin with black-bean and sweet-potato salad
The roasted pork is good. But the black bean and sweet potato salad is scrumptious. I'm thinking about making just that and keeping it around for lunch.








Baby spinach salad with tuna
My favorite salad, which is saying something, because I'm not a fan of salads usually. But this one rocks.










New recipes. They work for me.

(Also -- if you're interested in a creative way to get your kids to try some new foods without having to resort to bribery, check out my post over at 5 Minutes for Parenting today. It's all about my experience with Muffin Tin Lunches. Fun stuff.)

12 comments:

  1. I'm totally interested in the muffin tin lunches. I read that earlier today. And because I can't just make do about things, I thought I should find a couple of silicone muffin tins for that. These recipes would require me to really, really up my game. But I'm still intrigued. And life is always easier when I plan meals ahead of time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muffin tin lunches? I'm hooked and will head over there next.

    Hey, do you find Everday Food recipes to be budget friendly? It seems as though several bloggers I read have been referring to that same magazine. I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!! Am definitely checking out Martha (generally not a fan {{gasp}}) but you have me intrigued. Love the muffin tin lunch idea!

    Great first WFMW post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of those look great. But do you kids actually eat it? Half the time mine are so picky they won't even eat mac and cheese! C'mon, help a girl out :-) What's your secret?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I HEART Everyday Food in a big way. The size, the pictures, the time tables, the variety--it's the best! And it's new every month. Great tip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have these small, scrumptious, treasure troves of recipes....and I have made many a fantastic diner. Alas, I must confess...I have not been tempted to so much as glance at them since James left to Iraq....poor kids...its been frozen foods for months.You can pray for them (and me)....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE "Everyday Food"! It's my only must-have subscription! Another favorite is "Taste of Home". I've missed cooking so much! I love it but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do it with a month old and toddler! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you might actually be the real Martha Stewart. Wait. That might be a put-down. I mean it as a compliment. Like as in, you're amazing.
    I have the Martha cookbook, Real Food Real Fast or something like that. Or maybe it's everyday food or just Food. Whatever, I can't remember.

    Um, what was I saying? Oh yeah. I love that cookbook. it's my favorite. They really are simple. OH, simple might be in the title?

    I'll stop now.

    I so love your comments by the way. You are an encouragement to me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alright. Enough with the sweet potato fries. I am putting them on the menu for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post! I am SO in a rut when it comes to cooking, and nothing re-energizes my cooking enthusiasm like trying new recipes. You're right...planning menus is the way to go.

    Enjoying your blog. Have a blessed weekend!

    Oh, I almost forgot...I linked to your "I See What You're Saying" video in my post yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. all of those recipes look fabulous..i love recipes. I just hate grocery shopping and cooking and cleaning kitchen. Bad combo, huh?

    ReplyDelete