The Tangle

I've had a tangle of thoughts in my head for a while now. They are so tightly interwoven, its difficult for me to follow one coherent string to its end. But they all share the same basic color -- that of simplifying, learning to be still, focusing on eternal priorities, nurturing a thankful heart, living a disciplined life, being purposeful.

My post over at 5 Minutes for Parenting today touches on one shade of that theme. So head over there and let me know if it resonates with you. (Or if my thoughts are so muddled they doesn't make sense to anyone outside of my mind.)

Bonus for you, since you're here -- a profound quote that is having a huge impact on me this year in regard to the tangle.
By examining as closely and candidly as I could the life that had come to seem to me in many ways a kind of trap or dead-end street, I discovered that it really wasn't that at all. I discovered that if you really keep your eye peeled to it and your ears open, if you really pay attention to it, even such a limited and limiting life as the one I was living on Rupert Mountain opened up onto extraordinary vistas. Taking your children to school and kissing your wife goodbye. Eating lunch with a friend. Trying to do a decent day's work. Hearing the rain patter against the window. There is no event so commonplace but that God is present within it, always hiddenly, always leaving you room to recognize him, but all the more fascinatingly because of that, all the more compellingly and hauntingly. In writing those lectures and the book they later turned into, it came to seem to me that if I were called upon to state in a few words the essence of everything I was trying to say both as a novelist and as a preacher, it would be something like this: Listen to your life. See it for the fathomless mystery that it is. In the boredom and pain of it no less than in the excitement and gladness: touch, taste, smell your way to the holy and hidden heart of it because in the last analysis all moments are key moments, and life itself is grace.
- Frederick Buechner, "Now and Then"

16 comments:

  1. Great post. I am so guilty of not "being there". I really don't want to have regrets as a mom...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Freddie B. (the quote you shared is just what the Big Doc ordered for me today)

    Thank you -- I'll check out 5 Minutes now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES. A few weeks ago I overheard the 5 yr old talking with Daddy as she was getting ready for bed. "Well, Mommy doesn't play with us much..." Ouch. Stabbed right through the heart. Couldn't stop the tears. Must cut some of the busy for the sake of busy and get back to what I'm here for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "nurturing a thankful heart"

    That is what is difficult for me. SO difficult.

    Great quote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally unrelated to your post, Canada makes people nervous?
    We're sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the post over at 5 Minutes. Does it resonate with me? You spoke my words. I am a multi-task mom everyday and the sad thing is I've been convicted of it and I haven't changed. My kids love, they LOVE it when I play with them. Why don't I do it more? I don't know. But I am so with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That'll preach, sister, yes, it will. I love Fredrick Buechner...I'm pretty sure I spelled his name incorrectly....I'm going to have to go back and re-read that quote again so it can soak into my brain a bit. It's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to cry... you've stolen the very words out of my heart tonight and I haven't even read your post at 5M4P yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm headed over to read, but I can say based on this post alone, you are speaking the same words permeating my heart for the past year as well.

    I have been working on simplifying and getting back to what really matters in our life, instead of getting caught up in the tidal wave of busy-ness that seems to be mandatory for todays generation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. definatly gives me something to thnk about! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a great quote. Your 5 Min for parenting post reminded me of another quote: "The soul is healed by being with children." - Dostoyevsky.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Tangle of thoughts you talked about is what I called the first year of baby. After each child I had, it took about a year for my head to get out of the fog. It will get better with time---and sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like that. "Listen you your life. See it for the fathomless mystery that it is." Taking time to ponder and pray does that for me. It allows me to simply, to focus, and to rejoice. Those still moments, when to the rushing world it seems I am doing nothing at all, expand my soul and have the power to change my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that quote! For a lot of years I used it with my college students, but I don't think college students get it. Now moms . . . moms get it. Thanks for the fantastic reminder!

    ReplyDelete