Winter has its Pleasures

Four days ago, we broke records for heat. I wore flip-flops to Bible study and threw open all the windows in the house to catch the warm breeze.

Today, I woke up to snow.


Flakes so big, they veil the view.

Thick blankets of white cling to every branch


every leaf

every pumpkin and squash atop a bale of hay futilely trying to insist it's still fall.

Connor and Teyla are in their cozy fleece pajamas at 1:00 PM.


I made homemade sausage for breakfast and two hours later, the smell of crispy pork and dried sage perfume the air.

I'm on my second cup of coffee.

(I want a third.)

The baby is refusing to nap, preferring instead to play and drool and look adorable wearing fuzzy slippers for this very first time.

Winter is not without its pleasures.

11 comments:

  1. Looks like you have a warm and cozy house full of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just tell you--I love your blog!!!! I just found it and I am in tears! --You wrote a post about your husband traveling and how it was hard to do it all yourself...Can I just tell you it had me in tears, just the fact that I am not alone. I too have four children :) I looooove them with all that I am :) --but sometimes it is crazy! I love it and thrive on the craziness but there are times when I would love an alone moment;)--and then I feel guilty for feeling that way I don't want to wish this time away they are growing up waaaay too fast as it is!--

    I homeschool my eight year old son. Everyone is home this year but next year they will be going to school :( One of my sons is very strong willed too ;)

    Anyway thank you for writing your heart I completely identify! --They are precious gifts to love and cherish we just are in a really busy season of life right now!

    ps --I stopped blogging but I am going to start again just in a really busy season :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps--I am sorry I did not mean to publish anonymously!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure why it won't let me post who I am --I am so sorry about that!

    www.guatemalajourney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello - just found your blog through Laura Parkers. I have to be honest, I am not a fan of your most recent post. You see - I am from Minnesota, currently living in Guatemala, and returning to MN in two weeks - and not at all thrilled about the snow! :)

    No, but really, nice to find your blog. I look forward to reading more. And hey, maybe I'll run into you at Target sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would struggle to stay positive in your shoes. I hate winter! Your beautiful children do make it look cozy though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. From one who is severely afflicted with the Seasonal Affective business - thank you for this. Dacey reminds me daily to "find joy in ALL of God's seasons!" This was brimming with joy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Snow pictures are always so pretty. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YOUR BLOG is not without its pleasures.

    I love these posts about your ordinary, extraordinary life. Move next door, mmmkay?

    ReplyDelete