Bedtime

Sometimes, the bedtime routine stands on my last nerve and plays hopscotch on it.

I mean, I’ve been Mom-ming all day. I’ve played and fixed and hugged and laughed and listened and now it’s 9:00 and I’m so done.

But I’m not.

“Buddy, focus. Are you supposed to be playing Legos or brushing your teeth?” “Natalie, it’s time to stop reading and turn off the light, honey.” “Teyla. Pick out a book so I can read.” “Here, let me nurse Kieran one more time before he falls asleep.” “Teyla. Really. Pick out a book.” “Connor, how is it that your teeth aren’t brushed?”


I’m edgy. Exhaustion and impatience seep out my cracks.

Finally, lights are out, teeth are brushed, milk-drunk babies are handed to Daddy and I’m ready to lay in Teyla’s bed and read her books, a privilege granted only to toddlers. So we read about a “Good Day” and a squirrel named “Miss Suzie” and about a hero come to rescue us.

And Teyla carefully tucks her doll under her quilt and curls next to my arm. And I inhale her still-wet curls and I hear only the crickets and the scuffing of sheets and the pure sweetness of a two-year-old singing to herself.

“Yes, Jesus wuvs me. For He is strong.”

I exhale.

The exhaustion still lingers. But that last nerve is no longer tingling.

Because sometimes, the bedtime routine grabs my heart and reminds me that this is the best job in the world.

8 comments:

  1. Cool...am I the first one to comment on this post!!? Do I get a prize, huh, huh, huh?? Just wanted to say...I don't think there is a Mom out there that won't think that you wrote this post JUST for them! And isn't it amazing that no matter what happened during the day/bedtime...once they're alseep, they seem like angels sent directly from heaven, and you wonder how you could have ever been mad at them!!!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet reminder that we really do have the best job in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you. I love being a mom, but sometimes it was hard to see bedtime as an event to treasure rather than just thinking "I'm clocking out now!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this! what a gentle reminder about those small sigh-worthy moments that are so, so-very-wirth it all! so glad that i came across your site today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally relate with the frustration at bedtime morphing into gratitude for the gifts all around us.

    Came across your blog recently and especially like the name "Love Well." Makes me think of 1 peter 1:22, and that's always a good reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't the Lord wonderful in granting us moments of encouragement and refreshment like this one? What a blessing it is to be parents, despite ALL the challenges!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww...such a sweet post. I agree, bedtimes are really serene and precious... <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my . . . I totally understand and relate to this struggle. I hate feeling like I totally mess up in the last 1/2 hour before everyone goes to sleep! I am irritable and impatient, usually, always. I have dreams of snuggling in bed and having good conversation, but when it comes to it, I just want everyone to get in bed as soon as possible so I can be "off". Thanks for relating this reality, Kelly.

    And, just fyi, I hope its allright, I put you on my blogroll, so others could find you. If you would rather me not, just let me know, and I can take you off, no problem!

    Love, Laura

    ReplyDelete