May Gray

They were the first pieces of furniture I ever purchased.

I was 20 years old, engaged, lost between daydreams of a May wedding and the practicalities of starting a new home with my man.

I got them for $50 bucks at a garage sale -- a couch and a loveseat, both covered in nubby gray fabric. They were classic '80s basement couches, with a double layer of cushions on the back and a foam so thick you could almost melt away in the folds.

But they didn't smell, and they weren't horribly stained, and other than the bed and desk my parents were graciously letting us take from my bedroom, we had no other furniture.

So I plunked down my $50 and somehow got them home.

A few months later, they sat tall and proud in our rented duplex, next to the upside-down cardboard boxes that served as end tables.

Gray never made me so happy.

I was inspired to write this post by the writing exercise posted at Adventures in Babywearing. Click here for the directions and more couch-themed essays.

14 comments:

  1. Love this. And how you mentioned the lack of smell- that was something I had to say- because scents are such memory triggers, and I found it funny that I had no scent memory with the one I wrote about!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wrote such a long comment that I've decided to actually make it a blog post. Coming soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised you didn't have a picture couched between the paragraphs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A woman's first real bout of nesting - making that first place home. I loved this exercise, didn't you? I could do these almost daily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember my first apartment for $575 a month in San Diego. I paid $20 for my first couch and an additional $20 for the coffee table. I even got really nice curtains for both rooms at a garage sale for a total of $10. Ahhhh, the simple life.

    Now, I can't go to Costco without dropping $200 on diapers, wipes, toiletries, milk, eggs, cheese and butter - well, and some of their pre-made meals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy I followed the link! Great story, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an intriguing assignment! I can picture the couch and I can picture the make-shift end tables. They probably looked very much like ours.

    And also, you should name this little guy Nubby Gray. It even sounds nice with your last name. Like a future novelist or something. Dontcha think?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our first couch we purchased was a sectional for $30-it was so comfy and thread bear but it didn't smell and we loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I missed that nesting - my husband and I each had couches, beds, pots and pans when we got married. I'm looking forward to buying all new when we buy our first home, so I guess nesting is coming a little later for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Megan, I could read these daily!

    Love your post! My grandmother had a couch similar to your description, stiff, but the smell was of smoke & it itched like cat hair that caked on it. Bleh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your post reminded me a bit of our humble beginnings as newlyweds. We had so little, but we were so very happy.

    stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. The memories that make up life :) Your post made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete