Just an Ordinary Day

It was 18 degrees on the way to school this morning.

The sun struggled to shine through some high clouds and the ground glittered from all the frost and the promise of a storm -- a real winter storm -- hung like a promise in the sky. We could get 8 inches of white powder by Wednesday night. (Or not. The weather is a huge tease this time of year.)

I was driving with my three children in the minivan -- Natalie sitting in the front next to me, telling me her thoughts about the 3rd grade spelling bee today, Connor sitting behind her, detailing to me the kind of equipment firefighters use (bet you didn't know they typically use jets, did you?) and Teyla, all crazy hair and runny nose and pink patches on her face, looking like the sweetest mess you've ever seen in a rearview mirror.

It was just an ordinary moment on an ordinary day.

And I was overcome with thankfulness.

Which is a lot better than being overcome by worry about the future or frustration over the mountain of laundry that needs my attention or loneliness because of Corey's crazy travel schedule this month.

Because truly, I have God. And He is faithful. What can I do but praise?

The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy.
- Psalm 126:3

7 comments:

  1. what a lovely post fully of truth...than you for reminding me of the beauty of ordinary life in this wonderful world

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these moments. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect! It reminds me of one of my favorite songs. It asks the question, "What else can I do but worship?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Thank you for this--it spoke encouragement to a weary (prone to worry & frustration) soul!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! What a gift to be able to recognize those moments and praise God! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete