Disappointment

Disappointment.

The kind that sends your stomach to the ground and your eyes to the heavens. The kind that makes you listless and tired and hopeless.

Disappointment. Unrelenting disappointment, as the Proverb says. The kind that makes your heart sick.

I battled it this week, after the offer we got for our house came in at half the asking price.

Our real estate agent, who pleaded for us not to see the offer as an insult, says in this economy, everyone's looking for a bargain. I think it also has to do with the fact that we're selling a "high-end" home in a small town; the culture is so different, I'm not even sure I can explain it. Consider that this is the fifth house we've bought and sought to sell, yet never before have we battled town gossip about why we are selling our house or why we settled on "such a high price." (Answer: Because that's what we owe the bank.)

But whatever the reason, when it became apparent Tuesday morning that we would continue to own two homes for the time being, I found myself sinking into the slough of despair. I was actually surprised at how quickly I slid from expectant to despondent.

Disheartened.

Discouraged.

Frustrated.

Faithless.

Of course, it didn't help that the last month as been draining. The kids have been uncharacteristically whiny and picky. The baby keeps forgetting how to nap. The husband has to travel and study and speak at conferences.

I felt like an ocean swimmer who is battling a series of waves. Each one rolls toward me and -- slap! -- I'm left with eyes that sting and a mouth full of salt water. As soon as I catch my breath -- slap! -- here comes another. And another. And another.

Tuesday, I lost the energy to keep swimming.

(Story continued tomorrow.)

15 comments:

  1. Awwww, Kelly. I know this struggle well. I'll refrain from further commentary until I hear the rest of your story, but - I really feel for you. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, friend. I have tears in my eyes for you.

    I'm going to bold and say this and prayer that you'll receive it in the spirit I intend it - totally in love.

    (How's that for a preface?!)

    My MIL share this with me recently and I *think* it might be from the Esther study.

    Isaiah 40:31 says that those who wait upon the Lord renew their strength (KJV). Oftentimes, in the midst of a storm or trial, we find that we are waiting on an EVENT. When we wait on an event, we lose our strength. It's only in the waiting on the Lord that we find that our strength can be renewed.

    Oh, sister. Please know that I share this as encouragement. I have done some waiting in my own life. Most of the time, my eyes were on an event. Waiting on and looking for the Lord - I've much to learn there.

    Love you and wanted to share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so very very sorry! Hugs and prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shoot. Phooey. :( I was so praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, I'm sorry. What's the deal with TUESDAYS. I re-named them BLUESDAYS, you know. For good reason. I'm sorry you got this news on Bluesday, and I'm sorry you've been downing salt water. I wish I could fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh bother! (Sorry, I know Pooh was a couple posts ago, but he's still in my head saying things like "Oh Bother." Or maybe that's Eeyore?)

    Anyway, I hate the thought of you getting slapped by one wave after another. And being so drained that you just gave up on swimming. I was going to offer to let you borrow my fly swatter, but that would be mixing metaphors and no help at all! Instead I'll just pray, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a cause for stress! Plus a baby that is not taking regular naps! Jordan's naps have been messed up because of the construction and I pull my hair out when he is whiny all day and doesn't nap. It just makes it hard to function even when things are going well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just hold on for a little while longer.

    I'm praying for you and your family and God always answers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel for you. I'm in a similar situation. We just have to keep reminding ourselves that none of it is ours, not really. He gives and he takes away. It is hard to see our savings disappear at the same time as our house value drops by 25% in a year. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry.
    I was so hoping that your offer would be reasonable.
    Waiting to hear the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Kelly. I'm so sorry to read this.

    I am well acquainted with disappointment, and the weariness that comes with feeling it over and over and over. Please know that I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Disappointment is the worst. It's one of the worst words to describe one of the worst feelings.

    Just when we think all hope is lost, God steps in. So, hold on to that.

    Wow ... my word verification word is PROVE ... kinda fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Half?! Hmmm, it would be hard not to be insulted!

    So sorry :(

    ReplyDelete