Thankfully, her nose isn't running in the pictures

Teyla's nose turned into a fountain of goo yesterday -- it ran, it spouted, it erupted, it bubbled. Fun stuff. (I wrote more about the stages of a cold in our household -- she's in the midst of the snail phase currently -- at 5 Minutes for Parenting today.)

But even sick, she's still sweet and cute. I mean, check out these 12-month photos I got back a few days ago (and kindly ignore the fact that she was 14 months when they were taken, pleaseandthankyou).









Part of the reason I put off getting Teyla's picture taken is that I didn't know where to go. When Teyla was a baby, I splurged on professional portraits (by Kari Layland; great photographer if you're in the Twin Cities) and that ate up my photo budget for the year. (And maybe this year too, but I'm working to ignore that.)
The older kids made do with school pictures, mediocre though they may be. So I had never looked for a mid-range priced studio where I could pop in and get a few pictures.

In the end, I decided to give Target Portraits a try. There's a studio at the Super Target near us, and Lord knows I'm there all the time anyway.

Teyla is at a hard age to photograph. (She doesn't stand still; enough said.) And we weren't in the studio for more than 15 minutes, total. So imagine my delight when they turned out as cute as they did. (And I got 4 8x10s, 4 5x7s, and two sheets of wallets for less than $40. Score!)

I might even head back in a few weeks with all the kids in tow, to see if we can't get a group photo. I need something with all three of them in it, because all the frame groupings in my house are in sets of two, and now that I have three kids, I'm faced with having to leave one child out.

And I don't have enough money for that kind of therapy someday. I'd rather spend it all now on cute pictures.

18 comments:

  1. Do you have a Portrait Innovations near you? We thought they were awesome and very afforable. We got tons and tons of pictures from them of our baby girl (she was 3 months) for less than $100. (Like, TONS. And you can pick how many poses you want, so you could get them for a lot less.) Plus they spent probably an hour with her as she decided she was incredibly fussy almost as soon as we started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures! A change in wardrobe even.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is adorable! That little face! I like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That close-up of her big smile is PRICELESS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a little cutie! I love the close up where she is smiling so big her eyes are closed. My daughter, Elle, has so many pictures like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really ought to be illegal to be so cute.

    I have no sympathy for any of your whining about living in frigid Minnesota when you have that to look at every day!

    Because I know she always looks exactly like that with those perfectly happy expressions. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are all adorable but the third one down is my fav =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Jules, the third one down is my favorite! Thanks for sharing them!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is adorable! She is definitely photogenic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness! Beautiful! I love the close up of her face while she's doing the "cheesy grin".

    And I must plead sympathy from Linda about living in Minnesota... what would be better would be living in a warm climate AND have Teyla to look at every day... am I not right, Kelly?!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. She is adorable and the pics came out great! I love the one with the scrunched up face and especially the one with only your hand in the frame. It somehow seems symbolic of parenthood - always there in the background to support and love them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These pictures are amazingly adorable. And about her being 14 months old? My 4th child had her portraits taken when she was 6 months old. She's 2 and a half now. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the pictures. All your kiddos are cute, but I'm a Teyla fan. The scrunched one is my fav and tells alot about her personality.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How can she be so big already!?! So very sweet. And is it me, or is her hair getting lighter?!?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh! I want to squeeze that sweet face. You know, I've never gotten professional pictures done for my kids. The shame! Oh wait - I take that back. I did go to WalMart once for Emma, but I hardly count them because they're terrible. Our reasons are the same - I haven't known where to go where I wouldn't be spending their college fund. And then I did find someone for Brody, but felt it was unfair since I didn't for the girls. What? That doesn't make sense. He's 7 months old - past the teeny tiny baby stage which is so cute in beautiful b/w pictures - but I guess I could still go, right?

    Thanks for talking me through that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I went back to peek at sweet Teyla again and realized I forgot to mention my favorite part: her tongue. SO CUTE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute!

    I also had to laugh because I just did a one-year-old handprint craft with my 14-month-old. I figure that years from now, two months won't make much of a difference.

    ReplyDelete