A Few of my Favorite People

One of the coolest things about moving back to the city where I grew up is reconnecting with a few shadowy fun figures from my past.

One of them is my college roommate. (I’d post her picture but she knows where I live.) For the sake of simplicity, we’ll call her Angie – because that’s her real name, and if I start using fake names at this point in the blog-game, my head will explode trying to keep track of it all.

Angie and I connect on a deep level – if you consider Dana Carvey deep. Ever since I met her our freshman year, laughter has been one of the defining threads of our relationship. There are few people who can make me laugh as hard or as long as she. In fact, during a play date with her yesterday, I believe the subject of Depends was brought up.

(Well, maybe we were discussing what the birth of children does to your bladder and why moms should never, ever attempt to jump on a trampoline without sturdy undergarments. But let’s not retrace our steps too much here.)

(Aren’t you glad you stopped by today?)


During The Great Sort of 2007, I went through an entire cabinet drawer stuffed with cards from the past 10 to 15 years of my life. Even though I’m a bit of a Hallmark junkie (one version of my perfect afternoon involves two hours of free time, a cup of coffee and a quiet Hallmark store), I had no little-to-no trouble getting rid of most of the cards in that drawer. Why? Because most of the cards were either not sentimental (damning) or, worse, not funny (the ultimate card sin).


However, when I reached the college-years strata in the card drawer, I found gem after gem of humor. All were sent to me by Angie via the intra-mail system at the school.

All were saved.


Here are a few of the classics.

Outside:






















Inside: Laugh or I’ll bite your butt.


This might be the quintessential Angie card. We got it for each other on numerous birthdays, because no card stated our feelings quite as well as this card.


Added bonus for 2007: The six-month-pregnant me resembles this lion. Just a little. But especially when I’m laughing. I hold my round body in much the same posture.


Outside:















Inside: Moo, Snort.


No words are necessary, really. It probably goes without saying that we both liked “The Far Side” and Gary Larson’s twisted sense of humor.


Outside:























Inside: I’m now 2600 miles from home.


Maybe even funnier than the card: The fact that Angie underlined the punch line and wrote “Funny!”

Because if something was funny the first time, it’s downright hysterical the second time.
That’s a motto we live by to this day.

Outside:






















Inside: You could stay at my place until the reward got over $15,000 or so.


Personal note under the punch line: “Hey, that’s a year and a half of school Or a really nice car. Or maybe a so-so car and a really nice guy!”


Outside:






















Inside: You’re always pulling crap like that.


Touching isn’t it?

And the moment this card celebrates?
“Kelly, Thanks for always sending spontaneous, fun card! Love, Angie”

That’s right. Angie sent me a funny card to commemorate the fact that I sent her a funny card.


My other favorite person-with-whom-I've-reconnected? My little brother, the last remaining family member I have in this state. But as this has already turned into one of the longest posts of all time, his essay will have to wait for tomorrow.
See you then.

10 comments:

  1. Kelly,
    I have a high school friend that we share the same passion for cards that you and your friend Angie do. Don't you just love standing in Hallmark and busting out in a gut laugh...I sometimes just go in and read several to get a good belly laugh and then leave...my daily dose of laughter so to speak! I'm glad I stumbled upon your blog! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I can relate on so many levels. Here's why:

    1. my name is Angie (okay, that doesn't really matter.)

    2. I also love cards a TON

    3. A friend and I share the same card/note/postcard exchange as you and Angie do and I've saved them all. I can look at one of her cards and instantly am brought back to that moment. And she's hilarious.

    4. I have a whole filing cabinet drawer filled with cards and notes from way back, and was just thinking this last weekend that I needed to sort and purge - except that it requires an entire day since I have to sit and read and laugh and cry, as I'm sure you well know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can always count on you for a funny, laugh out loud, card and I SO appreciate that about you!

    Let's get together one of these days now that you're in the neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like I've just been to the card store and been spared looking at all the boring ones...

    This is great - don't you just love friends like this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was so cotton-pickin funny! LOVED the cards...thanks for sharing them. Oh, and I'm totally with you on the whole made-up name thing. I mean, puleeze.

    My brother still makes me laugh so hard that food routinely travels out my nose when we're together.

    Yesiree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted to let you know, I host a free giveaway every week on my site. They're for products that are made in the USA. I make no money off of this - I just want to see more attention given to these products. (and more jobs stay in America!) Come check it out!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kelly,

    I've been reading your blog for a while and have really enjoyed it. I've always loved getting "lost" in a card store, spending loads of time reading and getting weak with laughter. My mom has been my partner in crime. We have found some pretty crazy cards over the years!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun!
    Thanks for the laugh today!
    Blessings,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete