Cinderella -- and Our Winner

Seven years ago next month, I discovered -- to my complete and utter shock -- that I was pregnant.

It came as a surprise to me, to my husband -- and to nearly everyone who knew us. As many of our friends tactfully said, "We just never pictured you two as parents."

And it was true. We were a great childless couple. We were completely absorbed in our fast-moving careers. We had two (sweet and loving) dogs and one (spiteful and contemptuous) cat -- which was more than enough responsibility for us. We moved a lot, traveled often and never expressed any desire to raise a family.

But there we were -- expecting our firstborn. (God is so gracious. And He has such a sense of humor. I enjoy Him so much.)

During my pregnancy, I was given many tidbits of advice from older parents.

Among them:
"Nap when the baby naps."
"Get the epidural."
"Never try out a new hairstyle when pregnant."
"Just so you know, that new Pamela Anderson look you're sporting there isn't permanent."
And maybe most importantly: "Treasure every minute with your children. They'll grow up faster than you can imagine."

Thankfully, I took that last piece of advice to heart. (Although the rest of the advice? Also true. Very, very true.) Ever since my daughter was born six years ago, I've tried my best to cherish every minute of every day -- even the hard ones -- because there's a little voice in the back of my head that constantly says, "Someday, you'll wish you were here. Don't let it slip through your fingers."

It's a sentiment tenderly expressed by Steven Curtis Chapman in his new (and destined to be a classic) song called "Cinderella." He wrote it for his daughters -- all four of them. His oldest, Emily, is a college student. His youngest three are eight and under, all adopted from China in the last few years.

Here's the story behind the song, in his own words. (Full interview here, if you're interested).
"Cinderella" was the first song I wrote on this journey. I went to give my youngest girls a bath one night, and it was right around the time of big meetings with the record label where I have to play them what I had written up to that point. I was really stressed and needed to get back to writing, but also needed to spend time with the girls, so I was frustrated and irritated. I told them to take the bath quickly, but of course they wanted to play and I didn't have much time. I finally got them into bed and told them to pray … fast: "Just pray for the immediate family and no orphans tonight!"

So finally they got to bed, and once I was alone [in my writing room], it's like God had just two words for me: "Emily Chapman," my 21-year-old daughter who's getting ready to graduate college. And my heart turned straight to guilt because I didn't want to rush through these moments any more. I sat down that night and it was the easiest song I've ever written. The next morning, I brought it to the record company meeting, even though I didn't think it was quite done. But after I played it and looked up, everyone was crying and sobbing. I guess it connected! I recorded the song just as I played it that day.

This song is so beautiful, it would pain me to have to link to a :30 clip. Thankfully, I don't have to. You can hear the whole song on SCC's site. Go here and watch for the built-in audio player to start. "Cinderella" should be the first track to play.

Lyrics are below.
She spins and she sways to whatever song plays
Without a care in the world
And I'm sitting wearing the weight of the world on my shoulders
It's been a long day and there's still work to do
She's pulling at me saying "Dad I need you!
There's a ball at the castle and I need to practice my dancin'
Oh please, Daddy, please!"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone

She says he's a nice guy and I'd be impressed
She wants to know if I approve of the dress
She says, "Dad the prom is just one week away
And I need to practice my dancin'
Oh please, Daddy, please!"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone

She came home today with a ring on her hand
Just glowin' and tellin' us all they had planned
She says, "Dad the wedding's still six months away but I need to practice my dancin'
Oh please, Daddy, please!"

So I will dance with Cinderella
While she is here in my arms
'Cause I know something the prince never knew
Oh I will dance with Cinderella
I don't want to miss even one song
'Cause all too soon the clock will strike midnight
And she'll be gone.
Does anyone else need a tissue?!? Lord have mercy.

My firstborn -- six-year-old Natalie -- is dressing up as a princess this year for Halloween.

Of course she is.

Pray for me. And while you're at it, you might want to pray for our neighbors. Because the sight of a pregnant woman bawling as she follows around her trick-or-treating children cannot be pretty.

Although I bet I'd get lots of candy that way.

I'm happy to announce that the winner of the free "This Moment" CD will treasure the song "Cinderella" as well, since she has two little princesses of her own. Congratulations Angie!

And many thanks to all of you for following along with my reviews this week. It was a riot and an honor. Truly.

4 comments:

  1. YIPPEEEE! Thank you, thank you, thank you, Kelly! I'm home from church this morning with two little Cinderellas who have a stomach virus, so this news was just the lift I needed. Thanks. I'm so thrilled! I can't wait to listen to the whole thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post. I know when my babies were babies I thought that season of my life would last forever and guess what? It didn't. Instead, it slipped like sand between my fingers and passed me by without warning. Same thing now as my oldest is thirteen and I discover that time only speeds up the older they get. May God grant us the grace to treasure this day and this moment with our kids!

    Oh, and congrats to Angie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading this. You're an excellent writer and can really tell a story. Plus - you're funny!

    But fer pete sake. Do you know how HARD it is to read with tears in my eyes?

    I am not (so, so sorry!) a Steven Curtis Chapman fan.(Hope we can still be bloggy friends!) LOL
    But this song...oh!...how it captures our hearts and warns us at the same time.

    Have fun following your little princess on Halloween. And don't forget your kleenex.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. I hope this is something you share with your own Cinderella someday. :)

    ReplyDelete