Connor and The Girls

“Mom, would you spread the blanket over me and my girls?”

So said Connor on a night last week when he called me – yet again – to his room. I’ll admit – I was annoyed when his cries of “Mom? Mom? Mom?” started up again when I was already downstairs.

“It’s almost 10:00 PM, child,” I thought to myself, exasperated. “Just to go to sleep!”

Outwardly, I called up the stairs, “I’m down here, Connor. What do you need?”


“I want you to come to my room,” he pleaded.


Slowly, I climbed the stairs. (A three-level townhouse is a challenge for this increasingly pregnant body.) In his room, I found his two "girls" – two Polly Pocket wannabes we got in a Happy Meal last year – carefully placed on his pillow. Beside them was the bejeweled magic wand Natalie had given him an hour earlier
you know, when it was bedtime “to make him happy, Mom.”

And that’s when he asked: “Mom, would you spread the blanket over me and my girls? They are being cuddly.”

What can a Mom do with that but smile and oblige?

“Thanks Mom.” He smiled at me with angelic eyes. “That’s perfect!”


And thus, my insides turned into a Lava Lamp. And I smiled back. “I’m so glad buddy.”


Of course, in 15 years, if he asks me to spread a blanket over him and his girls, there will be a different ending to this story. But for now, we'll leave it what it is:
Three-year-old boys who are in love with their mommies are some of the sweetest creatures God ever made.

7 comments:

  1. That is the cutest thing! I bet he went right to sleep after that!

    Kailani
    An Island Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny! Yes, in ten years time that question would get different results. And he totally looks like you, from what pictures I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes they are!!! How precious.

    Have a great weekend.

    ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  4. You said it...my seven year old still loves Mommy best of all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a CUTE story! And what a great picture. Aren't they just angels when they sleep? I resist every urge to just maul them with kisses and take a hundred pictures while my girls are sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love this - my 8 y.o. is only cuddly at night when no one else is around - such sweet times!

    ReplyDelete