A New Life

UPDATE BELOW

It seems like many of my favorite bloggers are dealing with a loss right now. (And to be honest, it hasn't been a great spring for me either.)

So here's a little ying to the yang -- my best friend is having a baby today, and I'm SO EXCITED I can hardly stand it. She's being induced right now, about a week early, because her last baby (now three-year-old Trey) was over 10 pounds. And while it seems somewhat common these days to give birth to a 10-pound-or-more baby, it's still not right. Not. Right.


Sonjia has treasured every minute of this pregnancy -- both because it's her last and because she had a miscarriage last June. Every time I've seen her, she's fairly glowed with joy over this little life growing inside of her.

She's also driving me nuts because she's one of those precious people, bless her heart, who refuse to find out the gender of the baby before its born. Personally, I think there are enough surprises on delivery day to keep my adrenaline up for a month. (For example: How many stitches is it going to take this time?) I don't want to discover that I've secretly been wishing for a girl for 9.5 months right about the time the doctor announces, "Guess who looks just like Daddy!" Plus, the weeks after childbirth are not the best time to untangle an emotional knot, you know what I mean? There's already en
ough going on in the Land of Horomones.

And -- the biggest disappointment -- how can I buy adorable baby clothes for the coming newborn if I don't know whether to buy the cuddly bear overalls or the teeny flowered pants set?

So today is a big happy day for all of us. If you read this Tuesday, April 24, please pray for peace and joy for my friend Sonjia -- all the more considering they don't do epidurals at our hospital. (Don't get me started.) I'll update once we know the gender the statistics about the baby.

And start praying for my mental sanity now, as my sister called yesterday just to tell me that she doesn't think she'll find out the sex of her next baby either. Lord, have mercy!

UPDATE: It's a girl! I neglected to mention yesterday that Sonjia has two boys right now and, being very close to her own mother, she wanted a girl with a desperation too deep for words. She had convinced herself she was having a boy. But glory to His name, she now has a daughter -- Ahnnalie Marie, 8 pounds, 12 ounces, 22 inches. Here's a picture. And I'm heading back to the hospital to get me some more newborn lovin'.





5 comments:

  1. I am with you - I always had to know the sex of the baby - all four of them!! I wish people that chose not to know would carry a little note that they could those of us that want to know, but promise not to tell them. ha ha!!

    Loved visiting your blog!

    Hvae a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No epidurals? Doesn't know the sex of the baby? What's up with that!!!!!! THIS is the 21st century girls! My daughter is an RN and she tells me that epidurals are commonplace now. For this midwestern momma who had 3 "natural births"...I don't see the logic in not having an epidural!!!! AND, because our first two children were born before the advanced technology of scanning....I begged to know the sex of our third child. Sadly, our hospital did not disclose the birth of the babies at THAT time because people had sued them when their prediction was wrong! Good grief!

    Maybe your sister should find out just.for.you!!!!

    You can keep a secret...can't you????

    Hope you can post a picture of this newest little gift!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting for you! As I type this, I'm awaiting two births as well ... but its' twin goats. :) No epidural there, either.

    Thanks so much for the visit to my blog, Kelly. I've been swamped with editing projects and haven't had a chance to do much visiting, but I do appreciate you coming by and leaving a comment.

    God bless your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting for you! As I type this, I'm awaiting two births as well ... but it's twin goats. :) No epidural there, either.

    Thanks so much for the visit to my blog, Kelly. I've been swamped with editing projects and haven't had a chance to do much visiting, but I do appreciate you coming by and leaving a comment.

    God bless your day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey--sorry for the duplicate posts. I caught a type (its' instead of it's) right at the last second and hit "escape," but apparently I didn't hit it before it sent the offending error.

    :)

    ReplyDelete