The Joke

I think every two-year-old believes it. Diaper changes, no matter now necessary, are the equivalency of water-boarding for toddlers.

"Foul!" they cry, writhing on the changing table. "Foul! This is only happening because you are bigger than me!"

To which I respond, "Foul doesn't even begin to describe this, kid."

Last week, Kieran and I were wrestling through one such diaper change. He was fussing and twisting on the changing table and, maybe most astounding of all, trying to deny reality.

"I not stinky! I not stinky!" he shouted, scowling at me.

I looked at him wryly. 


"Buddy, you are stinky! Look!" 

I held up the nasty diaper to make my case.

All of a sudden, his entire face burst into a smile.

"I just joking on you, Mama." he said with a grin.

----------

There was a time in my life when I didn't want to be a mom. I saw children as an inconvenience and a disruption. I wanted a life of adventure, a life of meaning. I didn't want to spend my days cleaning up after little people, wiping counters and wiping noses. What a small life, I thought to myself.

What I didn't know then is that children add wonder and joy, and there is no bigger adventure than loving my kids and watching in awe as they become their own people.

Trust me, Kieran. The joke's on me.

I can't believe I almost missed this.

Welcome to The Parent 'Hood, a weekly synchroblog about all things parenting.

Please read these guidelines before linking your post:
1. Today’s link-up will run from this morning through next Sunday night. A new link-up will start next Monday morning.
2. Link the
unique URL of your parenting post, not the homepage of your blog. Otherwise, your parenting post will get buried under new content on your homepage and be hard to find when readers click through later in the week.
3. We ask that you please include a link somewhere in your post back to The Parent 'Hood, via this post or The Parent 'Hood welcome post on any of the other hosting blogs.
4. If you're on Twitter, hashtag Parent 'Hood posts with #TheParentHood.
5. Feel free to grab the code in the box under the graphic above to share the button love!
6. Share your own posts and read and comment on other blogs. Any good 'hood is all about community, right? Read, comment and enjoy as you have time.



7 comments:

  1. OH, but I'm giggling over this! Mine gets this glint in his eye...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO GLAD you changed your mind : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I knew that you at one point didnt want kids! I can't imagine you without them, or them without you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and I really are twin souls. I was so afraid to have children, afraid of somehow losing my identity. I was harsh (in my mind) with those who rushed to motherhood. And I had no idea. I am so glad I'm a mother. Wouldn't trade it for any of those silly dreams I had before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So great. I love the Kieran speak. I not stinky!!

    ReplyDelete