A Sleepover in Mom's Room


Three of my four children are sprawled out on my floor, giggling and whispering. Their sleeping bags swish a lullaby.

I wouldn’t normally allow a sleepover in Mom’s room on a school night. But when we first tried this a month ago, the whole thing went so well – the kids read books to each other, played quietly, then slowly fell asleep, one by one – that I couldn’t resist trying it again. Especially since we are in the midst of a busy travel season for my husband. Bedtime is most exhausting time of day when I’m the only responder to every cry for water, every plea for one more bedside prayer, every whimpered request for extra cuddling. It often takes me two hours to get everyone bathed, jammied, brushed and asleep in bed.

But not tonight. Instead, the candles I lit on the fireplace mantle flicker a nostalgic warmth, and the children sleep peacefully at my feet. Is this what the Ingalls used to feel, when their whole family slept in the same room next to the fire, with Pa’s gun safely tucked above the door?

I don’t really know why we Americans put everyone in their own space. I would be fine sleeping like this forever.

Or at least until someone wakes up crying and causes a chain reaction of early morning distress.

Then they can sleep in their own rooms.

-----

This post is brought to you by Just Write, a new Tuesday exercise in writing without overthinking at The Extraordinary Ordinary. Play along -- and let me know so I can come visit you too.

10 comments:

  1. Lovely. I admire you for trying. I would think it would all go downhill and not even attempt it. I might need to work on my positive thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sleeping in the same room w/ the kiddos... keeping them close. It doesn't happen often, but when it does... I swoon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish we could do that...

    We do let the kids have sleepovers in the living room on weekend nights. They adore it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this. There is something so precious about drifting off to sleep as a family. And something equally terrifying about a chain reaction of the waking-up-too-earlies. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet time. Gary's gone again tonight. Maybe we'll try this? (Pray for me.) I woke up at 3 a.m. to a little red-headed boy sleeping next to me. It made me so happy. So are you telling me I could have 4x that happiness with them all in there??? ;)

    Your writing always, ALWAYS leaves me breathless.

    P.S. I got your email about ATC... tonight! I'll reply tonight!

    P.S.S. I'm trying Just Write today. Mine's not nearly as sentimental. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww so sweet and fun! They will remember the fun sleepover when they are older! I love it

    ReplyDelete
  7. it would be fun until you wanted to, like, do something with your husband, like, play Yahtzee or something.

    (Walker would now say "Play Yahtzee? Is that what the kids are calling it these days?)

    I always wonder how the families in the one room cabins used to play Yahtzee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you do this!

    (both Just Write and the slumber party)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We used to do that in Mauritania, cuz our room had a window AC, the only one in the house. When it was really hot (ok it was always really hot but we were acclimated...) we'd bring the kids in. We also did that when Donn was gone. Sigh...they're too big now. I can't really ask my 16 y/o to sleepover in my room anymore ...

    ReplyDelete