Summer Nova

Summer is waning. But like a dying star, it shines brightest at the end.

Today, I awoke to brilliant blue skies and a wind that talks back. It’s dancing in the trees and making melody out of the window blinds and knocking over the vase of lilies on the kitchen sill. The sun is golden and warm, but already its caress fades. The windows are thrown wide open, the better to drink in the beauty.

The kids, of course, know school is just two weeks away. They are equal parts squeal and groan.

Me? I’m melancholy about the end of my favorite season, as always. Lazy mornings, afternoon swims, tan lines, fresh tomatoes from the farmer’s market, the smell of turkey burgers on the grill. What’s not to love?

I gingerly look forward to routine and structure and a little more time to enjoy the littles and then focus on the bigs when they return from school.

But until then, I can be found sitting on my front porch, listening to the wind pirouette in the birch leaves and watching the sun make ever changing puzzles on my sidewalk.

It’s true what Robert Frost said: Nothing gold can stay.

4 comments:

  1. I hear you! I do love summer, but I love fall more- and cannot wait for it! But my heart breaks a little knowing that Silas will be in preschool now... Have fun at the State Fair- I am so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deep sigh. I think this might have been the first year ever when I simply wasn't ready for summer to end. (Autumn has always been my favorite season...)
    I wish we had two weeks left as well, but school has already begun. Hence the deep sigh.
    This was a beautiful post, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. bittersweet...

    -mary melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my. Your writing is breath taking, Kelly! Excellent post. I think you could write about changing diarrhea filled diapers and make it sound poetic, leaving your readers feeling dreamy and content. *sigh*

    Tan lines. Always such a sad thing to watch fade away into autumn. I'm with ya.

    ReplyDelete