My Sleep Philosophy: Whatever Works

Yesterday, Kieran fought his morning nap for an hour. He cried and wailed and pointed to the door and yawned and squirmed and rubbed his eyes and laid down and stood up and chewed on the crib. In the end, he collapsed in my arms and I was able to lay him down for a 45-minute snooze. But he wasn’t really rested when he woke up. He was still cranky and unhappy with life, and he stayed that way the rest of the day.

This morning? He was rubbing his eyes and yawning by 9:30. I took him in his room and sang him a song and laid him in his crib and sat down next to him and rubbed his back (which worked like a charm the last two weeks, for the record). But when he stood up and started crying again, I decided to go for a two-minute drive through the neighborhood.

He was asleep within 30 seconds of me pulling out of the driveway.

And he is now sleeping peacefully in his bed.

Why can the car do what I can’t?*

*You don’t really have to answer that. I don’t care. I’m just happy he’s taking a nap.

12 comments:

  1. Whatever works is what has worked best for us too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever works is an excellent philosophy for a good part of raising children (disclaimer: not all parts obviously). It always worked for my daughter, but it just doesn't seem to work at all for my grandkids. Even if they do fall asleep in the car, they wake up when she takes them out of their car seats. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been there! Did it with Nolan once at 1 AM (when he was uber little). Too bad gas prices are the way they are now. :) I've gone through McD's got a $1 ice-tea and driven around for 2 hours looking at all the BIG houses around where I live oohing and ahhing and dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! When èlijah was about 3 and decided he didn't want to nap anymore (he did still need it) I used to pick up the girls from school and drive the "long" way home (about 2 miles instead of the 1/2 mile straight shot) and he'd always zonk out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't mean to be anonymous, its me, Aly Belden :-) . And I think I managed to put an accent mark over the E in Elijah, not sure how I did that, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a 9 month old who is currently going through some kind of growth spurt/cranky phase, and the past week has wreaked havoc on our sleep schedule. Waking up at random hours of the night makes for a grumpy baby AND mommy around here. :) I totally understand!

    Just wanted to make sure you got my reply to your email from a few weeks back. No rush. :) Just checking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my 6 month old fights sleep like a banshee not even the car works at times -she tires me out but anyhow whatever works we do coz we need our own rest mama

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know why but I am glad it worked!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cutie pie! Nothing better than a sleeping baby, well, maybe a smiling baby is a good exception.

    I tried to request you to be my friend on fb, but there's no tab on your fb for that, or at least I couldn't find it. I just didn't want you to think I was leaving you out :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad it worked! Mine wake up when I take them out so I fight desperately to keep them awake if we've stayed out just a bit to long before nap time! It doesn't help that we live 5 miles out of town now... that highway drive does me in!

    ReplyDelete