The Present is a Present

Have you ever heard this saying?
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is mystery
Today is a gift.
That's why they call it the present.
My college friends and I used to chant that to each other when we were especially stressed -- like during finals or when the magazine was on deadline or that time the student center ran out of chocolate-peanut-butter ice cream.

I think I need someone to chant it to me now. I'm not particularly stressed, but I am apt to be distracted from my daily gift. I wrote more over at 5 Minutes for Parenting today.

7 comments:

  1. Yesterday is history.
    Chanting, clapping, and marching around the room (OK, not really, but I'm picturing it in my head)

    Tomorrow is mystery
    Today is a gift.
    That's why they call it the present.

    Yesterday is history.
    Tomorrow is mystery
    Today is a gift.
    That's why they call it the present.

    Yesterday is history.
    Tomorrow is mystery
    Today is a gift.
    That's why they call it the present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We must be tuned to the same channel. Over the past week, it's become abundantly clear to me that I need to give my best attention to the moment I'm in, particularly as it relates to my children. In fact, my last post was about that very thing.
    I think I have a bit of whiplash from nodding my head so emphatically while reading your post over at 5 Min for Parenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My nine year old reminded me of this today,

    "Mom, nothing beats summer in Minnesota."

    This too shall pass. Your hard-earned summer will come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way, girlfriend. The same way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...good reminder! :) And of course, who wouldn't be stressed if the student center RAN OUT of peanut butter chocolate ice cream!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those wise words.
    Someone used that very quote on American Idol the other night before they got booted, and I paused to point it out to my kids.
    My son said, "you mean the one from Kung Fu Panda ?
    Ah, how Disney (or whoever made it) takes credit for everything!
    Seriously, I enjoyed your column at 5 mintues.

    ReplyDelete