Here, Taste This : Homemade Granola

I cannot go to bed without eating a bowl of cereal first.

It's a habit that probably started back in my TV news days, when my schedule and body rhythms were whacked. (Anyone else regularly pull through Carl's Junior at 9:30 AM and beg for a bacon burger and a chocolate coffee shake?) When I worked on the 11:00 PM newscast, I would get home about 12:30 AM. I would watch the Late Late Show (sometimes with my brother, who lived with us for a while) and I would play as many games of Solitaire as it took for my brain to calm the heck down.

Then I would have a bowl of cereal and go to bed. The childhood familiarity of crunchy grains and creamy milk would settle my soul and I would fall asleep around 2:00 AM with a smile on my face.

These days, my body rhythms aren't quite as messed up. But I can't kick the cereal habit.

Which brings us to today's "Here, Taste This" recipe.

Homemade granola. Have you tasted it? Have you made it? Have you had it with milk?

It's a revelation. And I should know, since I've been eating it before bed almost every night for the past three years.

You can eat it with yogurt too, of course. Or use it to top ice cream. But it's meant to be eaten in your jammies, before bed, with ice cold milk.

Sweet dreams.




Homemade Granola
(Adapted from BooMama's recipe)

1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

3 cups whole oats
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup chopped raw almonds
1/3 cup chopped raw pecans
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt

Directions:

1. In a small bowl, melt butter. Mix in honey and vanilla.

2. In a large bowl, combine oats, flour nuts and salt.

3. Pour the butter mixture on top of the oat mixture and stir until well combined.

4. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet; bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until golden. Let it cool for 5 minutes then use a spatula to break it up into pieces. Store in an air-tight container.

Tips:

1. Sometimes, I add in 1/4 cup of ground flaxseed. It helps to remember to do this before you put the granola in the oven.

2. This recipe is highly customizable, yes? I love it so much as is, I can't bear to mess with it much. But I'm sure you could add dried fruit, some cinnamon and swap out the nuts without problem.

3. Don't let it cool too long before you scrape it off the baking sheet, or you will end up with huge granola chunks that you will have to break up with your fingers.

4. The first time I made this, I ate the whole thing in about one sitting. That's not good for the ego. These days, I often make a double batch (use two baking sheets if you do this; the granola needs space, man), which means I can go about a week before making some more.

1 comment: