The Brutal Truth

Here's the brutal truth. We don't tell this to new parents, lest we scare them away from propagating the species. And sometimes, we don't even admit it to ourselves, because hope springs eternal.

But if you lean in close, I'll tell you. Because I like you. And I'm a journalist, committed to truth and honesty.

Once you're a parent? You will never sleep through the night, ever again.

Oh, people will tell you once the baby is 6 weeks, 6 months, a year, 2 years, 5 years, they will sleep at least 8 hours solid. "And you will too," they croon.

But that's not true. At least, not if you have more than one child. Because the hard facts are: With multiple kids, someone is always having a rough night. Either someone is sick, or someone has a nightmare, or someone stumbles out of their bed and into yours without even waking up. It's always something.

The odds are against us, my friends.

And with Kieran in the house, the odds are even more stacked.

He's 2 now, my happy, sweet, cuddly, mischievous boy. (A few weeks ago, Corey was picking up toys in the yard when he found Kieran leaning over the pavement, shooting ants with a squirt gun. "Pew! Pew! Pew!" he was giggling. BOY!) And he's mostly a good sleeper, especially compared to his big sister, She Who Shall Not Sleep. (Don't say her name out loud! She'll hear you and wake up!)

Kieran naps almost every afternoon, he can fall asleep in his highchair or carseat and transfer into his bed and he falls asleep in his own bed at nighttime.

This happens almost every day at lunch. I've made peace with the
inevitable schmears of peanut butter on his pillow.
But lately, he wakes up crying between 1:30 and 3:30, almost every time. Even worse, some nights he wakes up talking. That's the kiss of death, because if he's talking, he's REALLY awake. A cry might mean he's still just disoriented, half-dreaming. But if he's yelling, "Mama! Mama! I in here, Mama!" I might as well brew the coffee.

Then there was the night last week, when he woke up calling for me. I stumbled to his room, groggy and swearing evangelical under my breath. ("Dang baby. Darn it to heck. So tired.") I scooped him up and he hugged my neck fierce, like he does a thousand times a day. "Oh HI Mama. Happy to SEE you, Mama. You sleeping, Mama?" I started the trudge back to my bed, eyes half closed, swaying like a sailor in the midst of a hurricane.

And then that toddler around my neck said something he had never said before. "I loved you, Mama. I loved you!"

And he continued to say it as we snuggled under the covers and he wrapped his arm around my head and stroked my cheek. "I loved you, Mama. I loved you."

Who needs sleep, anyway? It's highly overrated.

16 comments:

  1. bwahahaha. "And I'm a journalist." You crack me up. I have found this with the addition of Baby 3. Evelynn, as you know, never slept through the night until she was nearly 15 months old. And as soon as she did, the other two started needing to get up to pee or snuggle or something. Who needs sleep anyway? I wouldn't know what to do with 8 hours straight these days! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put in the journalist line mostly for my husband, Sarah, because he mocks me endlessly. I'm glad it caused someone other than him to snort.

      I wonder where the tipping point is, as far as sleep goes? Maybe after three kids? When the the odds get insurmountable?

      Delete
  2. Love this. With 5 kiddos in my house, I never sleep through the night either, even (especially?) when they're all quietly snoozing. The anticipation of a likely disaster or the surety that they're not really breathing if they're that quiet makes it impossible for me to fall into a deep sleep. I think I've been slightly delirious with sleep deprivation for the last 12 years since my oldest was born. It's my new normal, but indeed... who needs sleep when there are middle-of-the-night treasures to be discovered? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my word YES, Cara. I sleep so lightly at this stage of life - anticipating the padded footsteps into my room, listening for the baby's first cry so he doesn't wake up everyone else - that I can't sleep even the few blessed times they do.

      It's not fair, is it?

      Delete
  3. And now, I'm flippin terrified.

    Dang it to heck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm proud to see you're brushing up on your evangelical swearing, Jen. SLEEP NOW! In fact, you should probably leave work early today and go take a nap.

      Delete
  4. Awww. So sweet. He's not even my kid and my heart is melting. Those little arms, that little voice. I know them well.

    My parents have kids ages 41, 38, and 35. They still don't sleep through the night and we don't live with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Evangelical swearing. Shut the Front Door, that is good.

    Sleep, oh, I love sleep. But, it never happens. Even if both kids DO sleep through the entire night without a sound (they are good sleepers, but we do get the middle of the night cries) I am sure to wake up because of some strange dream, teeth-grinding husband or, if the windows are open, darn-it-to-betsy, bird.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! We have one of those child that shall not be named, 5 years and she is just starting to sleep for more than one night in a row...but than there is the teething toddler. It's always something, but those neck squeezes make it all worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen:) no one sleeps through the night here... I have some friend who swear their kids do, but think the lie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen:) no one sleeps through the night here... I have some friend who swear their kids do, but think the lie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Warning: And...then.......there are................grandchildren. And I wouldn't have it any other way!

    As my dear, but father used to say, "What's that you are referring to? Sleep? Who needs sleep? People die in bed." But that's probably not something you should tell one of those kiddos who is already having trouble sleeping!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, to give hope to the childless among you, my kids are 5 and 20 months. I haven't gotten up in the middle of the night more than probably 3 times since the little one was 12 weeks old. Even though I was breastfeeding exclusively, he slept 7+ hours at 12 weeks and never looked back. I think part of our success is extreme conditioning. They never ever ever slept anywhere other than a bed. No cat naps. Just proper naps in the bed. We plan our lives around it. We even chose my daughter's school in part because the schedule would be easy to work with. And quite frankly, it was just luck. They are both great sleepers and always have been. I sleep through the night like a BEAST. Good times. So have no fear future-mamas! There is hope! And if you are not so lucky as me, well, by the time they get here there won't be anything you can do about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is the truth! I do technically get to sleep through the night, for the most part, but I'm so busy doing other things my bed time is often after midnight.

    I swear, my body has become so accustomed to lack of sleep after four babies and working late, that when I get more than 7 hours of sleep in a row I actually feel worse.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha! I love his cheeks and lips!

    I get to sleep all night most nights now, *finally*. But man, when something happens that causes one child to get up one night, there's this weird snowballing effect and it can be literally weeks of multiple-wakings from both of them before we go back to normal. And as you know, our kids get up SO DANG EARLY (5:45 lately, no kidding!) that even with a "full night" of sleep, I am still bleary-eyed most mornings. But the warm little hug from my boy and his squeaky "good mormee, Mama" usually do a lot to make it bearable. And there's always coffee! xo

    ReplyDelete