Pinterest: I finally get it

I'm not sure I should admit this. After all, I did save every issue of Martha Stewart Living for a decade just because the pictures were so pretty.

But in the beginning, I didn't get Pinterest.

I heard the buzz in social media circles last spring. I read Megan's oh-so-good tutorial. I snagged an invite. And I started pinning.

First impression? I loved the pictures. I'm visual. It was an overload of gorgeous. But I didn't really understand how to use it. "So I re-pin things that I like, so my followers and friends, most of whom are the same people, can see another pin of the same thing?"

Like I said, I didn't get it.

So my Pinterest account languished.

I didn't stop checking in with Pinterest, occasionally. (I should add: Half the time I tried to log in, the site was down. For all of its popularity - maybe because of all its popularity - Pinterest is one of the wonkier sites on the World Wide Web.) And slowly, I started to see potential.

I found fun crafts to do with my kids. I drooled over nooks in dream kitchens. I discovered amazing new school lunch ideas.

Then, one day, I got a Pottery Barn catalog in the mail. Now you have to understand - Pottery Barn is the undoing of me. I hardly ever buy anything, but if I had to define my style, it would be Pottery Barn to the core. (And don't even get me started on Pottery Barn Kids. I die.)

Normally, when I get a Pottery Barn catalog in the mail, I save it for months and pour over my favorite pictures and imagine how I can steal incorporate some of their style details in my own home.

But this time - light bulb! Instead of keeping the paper catalog, I Pinned my favorite designs.





















Not only did this allow me to keep the photos in a place where I was more likely to see them everyday, but it enabled me to start a visual record of my style. Already, I've started to see trends pop up in my collection. For example, in the desk photos above, I see a stream of old-school-with-new-style chairs, fun-but-smart organization and scads of color. These are all things I've already started incorporating in the kids' homework area.

New worlds opened up to me. What if, instead of clipping that recipe, I Pinned it? What if, instead of Googling "gifts for teachers," I just searched Pinterest?

Suddenly, Pinterest was more than a source of inspiration. It became my virtual file cabinet. I've always clipped articles and pictures and ideas for "future use." But using Pinterest is so much easier that keeping a physical file folder.

Plus, with Pinterest, I get to share my favorite ideas/designs/recipes/crafts with my friends -- and they get to share theirs with me. The social media aspect of Pinterest turns a fun idea into a great one.

Maybe best of all, because I check Pinterest every day, I'm more likely to actually follow-through on the ideas instead of collecting them for "future use." Case in point: A few weeks ago, I found this (free!) Valentine's printables.

Within days, I had this hanging over my fireplace mantle.


I simply printed the banner on card stock, added a few purple pennants made from my scrapbook paper stash to better match my Valentine's Day decor, taped the triangles to some string I found in the garage and - viola.

Instant beauty. Instant happy. And easy!

Now if someone could just explain Spotify to me.... I don't get it.

I'm kellyatlovewell on Pinterest. If you need an invite, let me know! I'd love to see you there!

15 comments:

  1. I still don't get it. I mean I get it sorta, but it still seams like a daunting place to me. Maybe because I've never had an invite and only looked at it from the outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the question should be: Do you keep files of ideas from magazines already, Linda? If so, Pinterest operates as a virtual file cabinet. If a web page has an image, you can pin it to one of your Pinterest boards, where it will be stored until you need it.

      Delete
  2. I so love Pinterest! And I love how you've shared some of your pins here. How did you get the Source: xxx via: xxxxx on Pinterest links to show up under your photos? I want mine to look like yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I clicked on the photo from my board and copied the code from the "Embed" button on the right hand side, Megan. Easy-peasy. Tell me if you don't see it.

      Delete
  3. You get it! You... get... it. I have tears in my eyes. ;) I resisted for so long because I knew it would suck me in, and it has. But it's a GOOD thing. The recipes, the crafts, the ideas, the inspiration - it's all good. I want to know what Megan asked too - is that an automatic thing or something you did "by hand?"

    I don't get Spotify either. But I also don't get Twitter. Maybe I'm hopeless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Pinterest. LOVE Spotify. I'm listening to it right now. It's so much like itunes to me in the way that it works, but instead of adding my own personal files to a playlist, I add songs from Spotify's files. Sure, I get a commercial every now and then, but I like it so much more than Pandora because I get to choose what I listen to, and when. Plus, when new music comes out, I can listen to the whole CD (provided Spotify has the rights to it, of course) and decide whether or not to purchase the CD to download to my ipod, or just listen when I'm able to be at the computer. I listen all day at work - you know that music totally soothes this savage beast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. Maybe my problem with Spotify is that I don't have time to sit and listen and fine-tune things. I listen to Pandora on my iPhone around the house, but the random selection of music works for me because I have no time to personalize.

      But I love that Spotify lets you listen to a whole CD. I didn't know that.

      Delete
  5. I'm going to be honest... I don't get it yet.... Maybe someday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just started following your boards. I pin like crazy, but I actually do the recipe pins the most, in addition to getting ideas for outfits. I've definitely tried some new looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so impressed you try new looks! I see the Polyvore stuff on there, and I love it. But most days, I'm a practical dresser. Jeans and sweaters and the occasional scarf. I don't put much thought (or money) into fashion. But I wish I could, if that makes sense.

      Delete
  7. I didn't get it for awhile either, I just pinned things that I found online and didn't do the whole "repin" thing. But in the last few weeks I don't know what changed, I've found lots of cool things! Now to actually finish the one project I've started and try a few more... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually USING Pinterest helps it become understandable too, I think. Using it solely for inspiration feels old after a while. It's not practical.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I hope you said that with a Big Fat Greek Wedding voice. "There you go!"

      Delete
  9. I LOVE pinterest and I'm Janmary on there (hint,hint!)

    Great you are already using ideas from there ... huge temptation just to pin and never "do"!

    ReplyDelete