Seriously

OK, I just re-read my last few posts, and I've come to the conclusion that I say "seriously" way too much.

Seriously. For real.

Upon further reflection, I believe I've discovered the source of this vocabulary habit. (And living in California for 10 years doesn't quite cover it.)

I think it all started one night about a year ago. Corey and I were climbing into bed. I was blithely chattering along about the trivialities taking up room in my brain, and he was exhausted and half-comatose. Even as he settled onto his pillow and closed his eyes, I kept up my sporadic stream of information.

Apparently, at one point, he actually fell asleep on me. (The nerve!) Thus, when I launched into my next story, he bolted up -- like someone who's twitching from falling asleep too quickly -- and blurted out, "Seriously?!?"

It totally cracked me up. Corey teases me a lot about my verbalness, but he's rarely mean. (Probably because he's realized that chattering is what I do when I'm happy. That's right. I'm like a bird. A happy, little chattering bird. Only I don't like suet.) So his undisguised, unfiltered response struck me as really funny.

So now, whenever I start to ramble on and on about nothing of consequence, he'll wait until I stop to catch my breath and then say, in jest, "Seriously?"

Of course, it doesn't happen that often anymore. Because now I have this blog. And you, my dear imaginary Internet friends, are the newfound recipients of my stories and fascinating tales.

My husband thanks you.

Seriously.

13 comments:

  1. Seriously- I'm with you! I have those phrases, too.

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fell asleep in conversation with my husband once. Then I snored. Then I snorted so loudly I woke myself up. He still laughs about it a decade later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there are many husbands out there thankful that we can get the trivial out on our blogs, rather than on them!
    Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy to eavesdrop on your verbalness-srsly. Hey! You are a winner at my place. Come on over and select a book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought maybe you got it from "Grey's Anatomy" like me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously, I think that is seriously funny. Seriously.

    I have never noticed the overuse. I think you should continue writing just like you always write. Because it works.

    Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously is one of my favorite words, too. That and SO.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am seriously with you girl, and I do blame my personal overuse to my time in California, during my formative years of language learning.
    I love that word! It says so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We all have those phrases we tend to overuse, "I'm just sayin'" some people do it all the time, "I'm just sayin'", it's like they can't think of anything else to say, "I'm just sayin'" I catch other people doing it all the time, "I'm just sayin'".....

    Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I say clearly a lot. When I notice it embarrasses me. I think I went through a seriously phase too. I still say it to my ten year old when he does something totally obnoxious. I figure its better than what I am thinking...

    I for one (even though I am new here) am glad that you have channeled your stories and verbalness here!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You seriously crack me up. And how DARE he call these deep blog discussions trivial?! Hmmpff. I mean, mastitis and Chick-fil-A and barfy couches and dead car batteries and iPods and all manner of IMPORTANT issues are thoroughly debated and dissected!

    Not to mention the display of the most precious pictures of Baby Kiss-My-Cheeks!

    This is The Blog.

    I'm as serious as a heart attack.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm seriously addicted to "seriously" as well. It's a tough habit to break.

    ReplyDelete