Inside My Brain, For Just One Day

Sunday, November 18 - 9:00 AM
Oh, Natalie is singing with her first-grade Sunday school class in church today! I need to grab the camera.

Sunday, November 18 - 10:30 AM
Dang it! I left the camera on the desk.

Sunday, November 18 - 10:45 AM
There she is! There's our big six-year-old, walking in with all the other kids. Only ... why is she limping?!? Oh! One of her shoes has fallen off! Whoops! Good thing she can put it back on while she hops to the front of the sanctuary.

Sunday, November 18 - 10:46 AM
OK, now I know why I've heard Natalie singing "'Tis So Sweet to Trust In Jesus" the last few weeks. She learned it at Sunday school. Look at all those kids singing that old, faithful hymn. ... Hi sweetie! Yes, I see you waving and smiling! I'm waving back!

Sunday, November 18 - 12:15 PM
Listen: She's singing to herself in the backseat of the van on the way home from church. What a precious little voice! Of course, the lyrics are getting butchered. ('Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus, just to tay him at his word, Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus. Oh for gray to trust Him or.) But still. That voice! Slightly off-key and innocent and sweet. If we could just get that on CD to give to the grandparents for Christmas. They would be bawling in ten seconds flat.

Sunday, November 18 - 1:00 PM
Isn't that funny? She's even singing absent-mindedly to herself while we eat lunch. That hymn must really go deep. ... Although it is a tad strange that she sings "oh for gray to trust Him or." Do you think I should correct her? ... Nah. She's just a kid. Enjoy the simplicity, Kelly.

Sunday, November 18 - 2:30 PM
Seriously? Still? The same song? And no other verses or the rest of the chorus or anything? Just "Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus, oh for gray to trust Him or. Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus, oh for gray to trust Him or."?!? ... Lord, would it squelch her spirit if I reminded her of the "how I've proved Him o'er and o'er" line? ... Yes? Well. Maybe you could get bring it to her trusting little mind?

Sunday, November 18 - 3:18 PM
The song. The mind-numbing song. It will never end. Please, Lord, make it stop! Just make it stop?

Sunday, November 18 - 3:36 PM
For the love of Pete! It's OH FOR GRACE TO TRUST HIM MORE! OH FOR GRACE TO TRUST HIM MORE!

Sunday, November 18 - 3:45 PM
Honey, how about if we sing a different song? Pick a Wiggles song. ANY Wiggles song.

Sunday, November 18 - 3:47 PM
Ahhhh! Never before have I appreciated the inherent beauty of "Toot, Toot, Chugga, Chugga, Big Red Car." Thank you, Lord, for Jeff and Murray and Anthony and Greg!

4 comments:

  1. :)

    How sweet!

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I was literally laughing out loud. Maybe it's because I can relate. It's sad when a Wiggles song is better than a badly misinterpreted worship song.

    For the record, Emma's been singing, "Just how far... the feast is from the mess!" all day. I know what she's singing... do you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, at least you can never accuse her of not paying attention in Sunday school!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! That reminded me of my sister when she was little - she sang all.the.time. All the time. At the dinner table, in the car, in front of the TV...all the time! I know your pain :)

    ReplyDelete